_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
SM-62 Snark technical drawings?
wojtek1980
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 29 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 02:07 PM UTC
I left no stone unturned in the internet, so I don't expect miracles (well, I kinda do...) but does anyone know if there are any rivet counter quality technical drawings of the SM-62 Snark Missile? I have the old Lindberg kit I'd like to turn into something decent and just by looking at photos available on the internet I can say the panel lines on the model are a bit off (not to mention every preserved missile seem to be a different model).

Also does anyone know if operational Snarks were equipped with a chute and landing gear? There are some photos of Snarks painted in operational colors with no chute compartment (like this one).
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 09:14 PM UTC
The Snark didn't have landing gear-- it was designed to belly land on return-- but it was never really intended to return for the operational missiles. It was only "operational" for a very short time from Presque Isle Maine for less than a year-- in fact it was declared obsolete after only a month of alert status at Presque Isle. But It was launched in tests from Florida for quite a while from '58-'60, with many launches in the Caribbean. The warhead detached from the missile on deployment, after that, there was really no way to get the missile back, which is why operational missiles were not equipped with chutes or gear.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP