_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Weathering for aircrafts.
MTLB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 17 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 10:59 PM UTC
Hi.

I'm kinda new to modelling, and would like to get serious, and would like some (or a lot) of tips to make my models look more life-like.

I build mostly 1/48 world war 2 aircrafts.
Sidney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands
KitMaker: 67 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 11:49 PM UTC
do you have an airbrush?

in that case, spray a lighter version of the base colour in the middle of panels

after that, coat the model with some lacquer and use a wash to accent panel lines, then drybrush with the lighter base colour

add a layer of lacguer - done

have fun experimenting
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 12:46 AM UTC
I build paint and decal the aircraft and use the method shown in the following link, it is quick and easy and does simulate preshading without using an airbrush.
weathering panel lines
antoniazzip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aragua, Venezuela
KitMaker: 158 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 01:55 AM UTC
Hi, welcome you can see this please...
lWeathering of Aircraft for DWA
Cheers.
Leal Antoniazzi Pedro.
[email protected]
Longshanks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 06:24 AM UTC
If you can get a copy of this book it'll tell you everything, it's slightly dated but the methods are sound.........

'The Modelmakers Handbook' by Albert Jackson & David Day (Pelham Books)

It covers pretty much everthing and helped me out through my first few years of modeling no end.....! :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi MTLB, welcome to Armorama
You have come to the right place, but rather than trying to give you a load of information, in one go, it might be better to take things a step at a time. Before getting to the finishing you need to be able to put the things together in a half decent way. So, as you are new to modelling we first of all need to know if you can do that. Are you happy with the construction phase, do you use liquid cement? Do you manage to illiminate those seams? Do you hand paint or use an airbrush? Is it possible to show some pics of your models?
I would suggest that a first port of call would be the Features (see bar at left), although this may give you more questions than answers :-) but do not dispair, cos we all have questions. Take a look at my Tamiya Spitfire Mk I on line build ............Here.......... This may fill in some of the missing pieces. I would then suggest that you choose a model, Tamiya Spitfire would be good :-) and we can take you through it stage by stage.
I don't want to put you off, but to get the affects you crave, requires a bit of time to get used to what to do. Most books tell you what to do but not really how to do it. It's very difficult to explain techniques and make them easily understood, without actually demonstrating them. Also most modellers have their own way of doing the same thing, I guess based on the same principles, so expect to get a few, seemingly, differing answers. the trick is to find what works for you. I've been doing this for over twenty years and I'm still learning and picking up new techniques.
I also build 1/48 WW II, so I'm looking forward to helping in any way I can, as I'm sure are many others here. Because that's what this site is all about. get back with a few pointers of where you see yourself, in the modelling arena, and we'll take it from there :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP