_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Clear canopy
amigo1941
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 03:38 AM UTC
I have inadvertently put a little liquid adhesive on an a/c canopy and would be grateful for any help in finding a ways to 'polish' it off completely. Thanks.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 11:10 AM UTC
Best advice is to get some Micro-Mesh system sandpaper and start with the largest grit, I think it's 3200, proceed through the 4000, 6000, 8000 and ending with the 12000 grit. Rinse in water, let dry, then dip it in a bath of Pledge with Future (they may call it Kleer in the Commonwealth). Micro Mark and Model Expo carry Micro-Mesh on this side of the pond, not sure who would carry it where you are. If you can't find any, you can start with very fine grit sandpaper, say 700 grit if you can find it, and progress to oooo fine steel wool, then use plastic polish to buff it out, rinse in water and let dry, then coat with Future. Micro Mesh does a better job though. As you sand/polish, start with lots of pressure, then gently ease up as you progress/repeat. You may need to repeat the process several times depending on the blemish. Don't get discouraged by the immediate appearance. Once the future is on, it will correct a lot. Also, give the future a day or two to dry, and you may need to repeat. If you don't like the Future or you mess it up the first time, it can be removed with ammonia, then you need to start the process over again.
VR, Russ
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 11:45 PM UTC
the main issue is just how much damage did the liquid glue cause. If it pitted the clear plastic, removing those marks maybe next to impossible. I'd start with a 2,000 grit sanding sponge and plenty of water, but nothing with a lower grit number. Once you're satisfied with the repair, then go to the Micro Mesh polishing system, and also use a lot of water. Once you've gone through the 12,000 grit stage, it's time for polishing liquids. For this I start with Meguiar's Scratch X2.0 scratch remover applied with a micro fiber cloth or a piece of an old cotton T shirt. At this point you've gone about as far as you can to remove the damage, and associated scratches.

I'm not a fan of Pledge/Kleer as it leaves a thick coating since it's a floor polish. I do use it for special conditions. Meguiar's makes several liquid polishes that don't contain any wax. They should do the trick to bring back the canopy to a smooth and shiny appearance.

Now if you still have pit marks after the sanding process, then I'd opt to go with the Pledge/Kleer as it might help to fill in those marks, but I don't think they will completely disappear.

The only other option is a new canopy. Some companies will replace the damage part with proof of purchase. Some will charge for the part and postage, and some wont' do anything. Also, the Squadron Shop use to sell vacuform canopies, which might be another option.

Lets us know how you made out.

Joel
amigo1941
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 01:48 AM UTC
Pledge Klear is not available in New Zealand so may go offshore to get it. What is the cleaning agent for this product when using it through an airbrush.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 02:39 AM UTC
Regular household Ammonia will clean it easily. You can also flush with water but the Ammonia will get everything for certain.
 _GOTOTOP