_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Airfix 1/48 scale Hawker Hurricane Mk 1
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 02:11 AM UTC
I'm cross posting this question as I just can't find a picture of the leading edge of the Hurricane Mk1 wing. The Airfix kit (which I'm currently building), has the .303 MG barrels stopping halfway through the wing spar. There is no barrel that goes into the leading edge so you can actually see the front of the barrel. The leading edge does have deep recessed depressions for the barrels, but no barrels.

Were the gun openings taped, have a plug, or did they in fact remain open where you could see the front of the barrel?

Any and all info especially any pictures would be great appreciated.

Joel
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 02:58 AM UTC
Most often the gun blast tubes were taped over. Usually a large red patch was doped over all 4 barrels at once:

More rarely, they had the individual blast tubes doped such as this one:
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 03:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Most often the gun blast tubes were taped over. Usually a large red patch was doped over all 4 barrels at once:

More rarely, they had the individual blast tubes doped such as this one:

Jessica
thanks so much for the help. I was going to paint the red over the gun ports, but didn't realize it was tape.

Joel
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 03:11 AM UTC
https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/hurricane/
Hi Joel, this is a shotgun answer to your question, but this site has a ton of reference photos.
My understanding is that they were doped as in the first photo from Jessie, but I don't know if this was done between sorties or the start/end of the day.
In the third photo in from the link (229 sqn) you can see the doped cover after the guns have been used.

regards
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 03:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/hurricane/
Hi Joel, this is a shotgun answer to your question, but this site has a ton of reference photos.
My understanding is that they were doped as in the first photo from Jessie, but I don't know if this was done between sorties or the start/end of the day.
In the third photo in from the link (229 sqn) you can see the doped cover after the guns have been used.

regards

Spud,
thanks for the link. I'll be checking it out in a few. One thing I've learned over the years here, Jessica is just about never wrong when it comes to a question like mine.

joel
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 07:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It depended how much of a rush they were in. Operations on grass fields often resulted in gravel and dust being blown around, and since these tended to get into the works and jam the guns the ground crews were quite concerned about keeping it out as much as possible. Unless they had to do a fast turnaround to get the aircraft back into the air in minimum time, they'd want to tape the gun ports as soon as possible after cleaning and reloading.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 09:11 PM UTC
Jessica & Spud,
I'm going with a single piece of tape over the 4 guns on each wing. One thing that I noticed in the picture is that you can easily see the gun ports through the tape, but the tape doesn't seem to take any king of concave shape for each port. Will have to see how stock Red decals will work. I think that even thinned Tamiya tape will look just to thick. Maybe a double decaling will do the trick

Joel
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 10:54 PM UTC
Or try a drop of white glue. That'll dry in the proper concave shape.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 11:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jessica,
great idea. I'll go that route right before decaling.
Joel
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2018 - 11:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jessica,
Joel

Hi Joel, for what it's worth, I drilled out the ports (I was undecided which way I was going to go at that stage) then laid the decals over and piled on the microsol to get them to settle in to the holes, followed by some mucking around with the tones to lessen the uniform bright color.

all the best
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jessica,
Joel

Hi Joel, for what it's worth, I drilled out the ports (I was undecided which way I was going to go at that stage) then laid the decals over and piled on the microsol to get them to settle in to the holes, followed by some mucking around with the tones to lessen the uniform bright color.

all the best

Spud,
I'm thinking that the less the decal settles into the gun ports, the closer to the pictures they will look.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP