_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
AK Air Acrylics on Tamiya Acrylics?
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 - 01:46 AM UTC
Hello all,
I bought AK's RAF WW2 set, which I tested some days ago with some clogging issues with my airbrush, which I hope to sort out with some retarder. Besides this, I am wondering how these colours behave when sprayed over a model primed with Tamiya acrylics (actually, AK's Real Color, which are about the same). Any issues? Would they "stick" properly on the model?
Thanks!
petbat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
AeroScale: 93 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 - 02:41 AM UTC
I recently tried the AK Olive Drab colours on a Tamiya Ford GPA build. I primed it with Tamiya Fine Grey Primer and then put down a base coat of Tamiya OD mixed with some clear gloss and Tamiya Lacquer Thinner (not acrylic thinner). Not happy with the colour I was getting for 'modulation' of the base colour, now Tamiya changed the OD formula, I bought 2 of AK's OD colours to try.

I did find that it clogged the airbrush and I had to clean the tip often, but the result on the GPA was fine - no peel, no beading etc. I did follow the recommended use, which is light coats allowed to try in between.

During decaling I had no problems handling the vehicle, and after decaling I hit it with a satin coat of Vallejo which I had handy. No problems with that either.

I have not done anything more to it since, as I was waiting for some Archer Regn numbers, so no washes or anything yet, so I can't say if that will cause any problems.

All I can suggest is maybe do some test painting and weathering on some styrene card stock or an old model before you try it on your new kit.
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 - 09:48 PM UTC
Hi,
And thanks for replying.
I madeba quick test: I spraiyed the paints without thinning and encountered no clogging problem whatsoever. Maybe thinning with Vallejo's acrylic thinner ruins the chemical composition somehow? Also, it peels away frombsurfaces primed with Tamiya's spray white primer, whereas seems to be very fine and resistant on a Tamiya/AK Real Colors base. I'll keep you updated but I can grant you these acrylics are a pleasure to work with!
 _GOTOTOP