_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
To Egg or Not to Egg
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 05:45 PM UTC
I have noticed there seems to be trend by some manufactures in the release of Egg Planes. These are distorted, egg shaped, renditions of a particular plane. I have seen that some people are having a lot of fun building and painting these, and have seen some very well done builds. To me, these take us to one of the fundamentals of building models: having fun

So, I pose a question to the community: How do you feel about these? And would you appreciate to see news of there releases?

Thanks
Kevin
Vicious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 06:28 PM UTC
I have done both eggtank and airplanes with my 7 years old son and are in my opinion funny, easy and anti-stress, after 3 of these models I think that even if my son told me that he does not want to do it anymore I would continue to make a few from time to time , give me that sense of full freedom, however, staying in the field that most 'I like, the historic non fiction ... the next will be the B-17 of Meng ... and they are also dirty cheap! ... so a good gym for painting...

The Meng worldwartoons series are better becose they have propper decal not stikers
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2018 - 01:33 AM UTC
I don't have a problem with any kind of model kits built by anyone---I think if they are your thing, more power to you. But as for me personally I don't have any attraction to them. I don't find them of much historical value, and that's a big reason I build. They seem to me to be a "way point" on the road of model building, maybe good for practicing and developing skills, but short on on detail or accuracy-- but that's just me. To me, when we say the word "model" we are talking about a miniature reproduction of something that actually exists, in shape or form (that includes science fiction models, as the "real thing" is usually a miniature in itself on some movie set, or in someone's imagination). "Eggs" are "characterizations" of the real thing, "cartoons" if you will. If that's your thing, more power to you, we can celebrate the skill and artistry of any well built model, including "Eggs", but personally I'd rather put my time and money into more accurate models than "cute" models. I think they bring a lot of "fun" to the hobby, but I personally wouldn't have "fun" building them, unless I was doing it to interest a younger modeler. I feel similarly about "snap-tight" kits, but I think I'd be happier building one of those than the "Egg" kits, as they look more like the real thing when completed. Again, for me, the skill and artistry of building models is found in the detail work, and Egg kits just don't do it for me. Here's another way of saying it-- when I go to a show, I try and look at all the models, regardless of type, but when I go into a LHS, I just bypass the "Eggs" on display. You asked, so please don't shoot the messenger!
VR, Russ
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2018 - 04:22 AM UTC
I think Russ has expressed my sentiments exactly and so thankfully he has saved me a lot of typing. I might add ,though, that they may have some merit in attracting young modelers and giving them a chance to acquire and develop the the manual and technical skills necessary to build more accurate and traditional models of subjects.
Some consider our hobby of modeling Military subjects distasteful and a glorification of the horror of war and I can see these same folks considering these characatures as a way of softening the entry into a field of interest that they already find objectionable - a sort of " gateway drug " if all will pardon the analogy.
For my part I feel that as military modelers , most of us have a deep interest in the history of conflict and therefore have a better understanding of how these terrible events came to be . I am amazed at how many people know little about the causative factors of these horrible events in our history.
Thanks Kevin for introducing an interesting topic - Richard
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think Russ has expressed my sentiments exactly and so thankfully he has saved me a lot of typing. I might add ,though, that they may have some merit in attracting young modelers and giving them a chance to acquire and develop the the manual and technical skills necessary to build more accurate and traditional models of subjects.
Some consider our hobby of modeling Military subjects distasteful and a glorification of the horror of war and I can see these same folks considering these characatures as a way of softening the entry into a field of interest that they already find objectionable - a sort of " gateway drug " if all will pardon the analogy.
For my part I feel that as military modelers , most of us have a deep interest in the history of conflict and therefore have a better understanding of how these terrible events came to be . I am amazed at how many people know little about the causative factors of these horrible events in our history.
Thanks Kevin for introducing an interesting topic - Richard

Both Russ & Richard have already expressed what my feelings are on Egg planes. Just not my "cup of tea".

Joel
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 05:27 AM UTC
They are funny, I always smile to see one built. so by all means bring them on!
I have a loooong list of stuff I hope to build - I'm afraid egg planes is beyond the horizon for me.

Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 05:30 AM UTC
I think their pretty cool,you even see armor and an aircraft carrier fun versions.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 09:19 AM UTC
Then there's this site. You can see this or this for example.
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 03:14 PM UTC
Thanks For the links Ms. Secret - my opinion of egg subjects just went up a notch or two !
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 03:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Then there's this site. You can see this or this for example.

oh lord, that's amazing!
 _GOTOTOP