_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Is Academys Camel-Special edition-first...
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
I just picked up the Academy Nieuport 17 'first world war centenary special edition' comes with some photo etch and was wondering if the 'Camel special edition' was worth getting.
Ive read bad things about the original Academy Camel but was wondering if the special edition used the upgraded Hobbycraft sprues. Any feedback welcome.

Chris

Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 - 09:09 AM UTC
The answer to your question is “no” and “no”. The Academy “special edition” Camel is the same old Academy Camel with new decals and the PE. And no, it’s not the newer Hobbycraft “Aces” Camel. The Academy Camel is by far the worst large scale Camel available, even the old Revell 1/28 Camel is better IMHO. Better to save up for a new WNW Camel.
C
VR, Russ
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 - 11:36 AM UTC
Thanks Russ.
Just saved myself about $25NZD

Chris
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 - 02:44 PM UTC
I'd second that. I've recently received the WNW Camel and it is a fantastic kit. Usual high standard so you know what you're going to get if you're familiar with them. Well worth the money.

The Academy on the other hand, well I wouldn't bother unless you can get it really cheap to practice rigging or some finishing techniques on. I got bought one for Christmas and it's no where near as nice as the WNW. Probably going to convert it to the Trench Fighter prototype as I feel better about chopping up a cheaper kit.

_GOTOTOP