_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
F-4C Phantom, First Build, SEA Colors
trucolorpaint
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 06:30 AM UTC
The pictures shown in this thread are of 2 F-4C Phantom jets that I built to show how Tru-Color Paint appears on models. Both planes were completely painted with the SEA colors called out in most decal sets we obtained (after market or supplied with plane).

These are TCP-1209 FS 34102 Light Green; TCP-1211 FS 36622 Gray; TCP-1212 FS 30219 (Sierra) Tan, TCP-1213 FS 34079 Forest Green. We also used TCP-010 Black and TCP-431 Matte White for wheels, struts, etc.

Although the canopies are not attached as yet we have not decided whether they should be left open or closed and if we should add the pilot and weapons officer to both or just leave the one with the weapons officer leaning as if he has been injured (we put a hole in the canopy for that jet !).

These are the FIRST models that I have built in over 50 years ! - I did NOT make a typo - I am 72 and the last thing I built was the Arizona (when I was 12 or 13 in 1958). There is a LOT MORE parts in models than when I built them. Then I only built ships.

Anyway, the jets were masked with Tru-Color Paint Masking Paper which I drew a pattern on and then cut out the pattern with a sharp hobby knife. After many discussions with many modelers on this and other forums the camouflage pattern on the SEA aircraft seems to be fairly random as quite a few were repainted in the field after battle damage repairs and variations seem to abound with drawings on decal sheets. So the designs are freelance - but I think you get the idea.

There is another thread that is started showing a build of the 75th Ann. of the Alabama 106RS Air National Guard Squadron that I built at same time as the 2 F-4C jets shown here.

All jets are 1:48 and are a Monogram kit (I bought 5 of them so there is still 2 more to do). NONE of the jets that I built are intended for modeling contests ! I am still relearning how to build models, fitting parts, filling gaps, etc. Talking about teaching old dogs new tricks - getting lots of advice and help from members at the IPMS chapter we joined !

Enough rambling - any comments ?

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

PS - I told you I would post pictures of some models soon !!!
trucolorpaint
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 06:48 AM UTC
Here are the pictures

trucolorpaint
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 06:59 AM UTC
I also forgot to mention that the nacelles were painted with TCP-1226 Titanium, TCP-012 Chinese Red for the top of the tail and the stabilizers and rear undercarriage with TCP-077 Silver. Then I applied TCP-018 Gloss added the decals and then finished the model with TCP-017 Flat.

All in all, the paint job was far easier than building the model in my opinion. By the way, the plastic was washed first - before any paint applied. Masking did NOT pull off any paint between applying the 4 colors !

Be gentle with your comments, please

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint

PS - I am putting the finishing touches on a 1/350 scale U.S.S. Missouri. All of these models are being built with the intent to show them at our tables at the IPMS National Convention on August 1-4 at the Phoenix Convention Center.
trucolorpaint
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 - 10:35 AM UTC
When I started building the Monogram F-4C 1:48 kit I quickly noticed the parts do not fit together perfectly. In particular, the stabilizers do not sit flush with the body as they should. Is this seen in all the kits ? So I have built 3 so far and they all suffered from the same issue. There are several other areas of concern - mainly in the wheel doors, armament fit, air intakes, etc.

I realize I have been out of modeling for a long time, but is this something modelers find in most plastic kits on the market today ? On my next builds I'll pay more attention to fitting the parts, filling in gaps (bought some Squadron putty), filing to make parts snug, etc.

Anyway, any comments on my first attempts ? Don't be shy. Suggestions for improvement very welcome !

Only 7 days left on SURVEY !

trucolorpaint.com/trucolor-paint-release-survey/

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
 _GOTOTOP