_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Control Panel Micro Film Question
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 - 09:41 PM UTC
Hey All,
I'm currently building (well I've only just started) a 1/32 scale British tornado by Revell adding to it a super detail set by Flightpath. Part of this detail set includes film control panels which go between the photoetch panels and the resin kit parts. This film is to be painted on the rear and the resin panels painted gloss white. The theory being that the controls will show up nicelly when put in place with the new photoetch over the top. Personally I just cant see how the dials etc are going to be clearly visible. If I place the film on white paper at the moment i can see the detail.....but only if i look close.

Has anyone used and therefore got any recomendations with using detail films??? I actually had the MAD idea of installing 1 or 2 white LEDs behind the panels and drill through the panels so the the details in the film really light up. While this may sound stupid it may be quite effective in bringout out these details....especially in this scale.

Am I Going Mad???
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:39 AM UTC
I've used detail sets which include these film pieces. Even after spraying the back with white the dials never showed up well so I always scrapped them. Your idea about using LED lights is a good idea, I hope it works.
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 03:26 AM UTC
Hmm, I've been pretty pleased with the film/photoetch sandwich technique. Here's an example of how one came out for me:

I don't know how much clearer/brighter you'd really want it, at least for the dials. Maybe the glass bits would need a different technique, though.

Edit: ARGHHHHH, why the red x? I'm just cutting and pasting the url from one of the images in my member gallery? Why doesn't that work? Oh, well, here's the link.
https://photos.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php?photo=21017&password=&sort=8&cat=500&page=1
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 12:27 PM UTC
Thanks for your replies guys. I think what I may have to do is paint them as instructed and test fit to see how the details show up. At that point I'll see if anything can be done to improve them.

LEDs might still be an option.....but I'd need to give that some thought.

thanks
firemann816
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 790 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 03:03 PM UTC
Powerlogik -
I've used LEDs in my models, but not yet behind cockpit dials
I recommend it - its great. Lots of light, little heat dissipation, but somewhat of a booger to wire, and power. Give it a whirl, I think you'll gain a showpiece.
Check the XWing from Star Wars in my Gallery.

Part-timer - that is a beauty of a cockpit. What scale is it?
Is it stock or aftermarket?
Its a dream, I can see graduations on the dial and there's a dime there to show me how teeney it is. Magnificent!!!
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 04:15 PM UTC
I guess I should also ask is having electronics like LEDs on a model a thing that is frowned upon in a competition situation?? While i can see it being possible to effectively light up many dials on these panels....I'm also thinking that adding navigation and maybe even landing lights could be possible too. 1/32 scale really opens up these sorts of ideas well. The only thing I think I'd have against nav lights is trying to get them to flash correctly....after all if I'm going this far to add detail I'd want them to flash like the real thing. Whatever I do I plan to take photos and either put them up on my webspace or have them in the review forum so all can see the progress.
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 03:00 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words, Firemann816. All glory to the Jaguar resin & photoetch kit, though. It's their now OOP 1/48 resin set for the Hasegawa 1/48 Typhoon. All you have to do is slap some white paint - or better yet, white paint tinted just slightly green - on the back. You can use little spots of red or other colors if you know where the would have been on the dials (or just make it up!). Tons of fun, super easy, and I think the results are very satisfying. Most Eduard photoetch sets come with film/photoetch sandwich for the cockpit. To me, it's worth the price of the photoetch set just to get the instrument panel and seat belts.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 - 07:41 AM UTC
:-) I think these film instruments are great. Although you might not see alot with a casual look into the cockpit, a closer look certainly pays dividends. Use them as per the instructions, I simply slap white acrylic paint on to the rear and, to me, the effect is wonderful :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP