_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Flying Me 262
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2018 - 09:24 PM UTC
came a cross this video whilst cruising youtube, it's of a genuine Me 262 from the second world war which is still flying today, although it does have more modern engines.

Me262
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

came a cross this video whilst cruising youtube, it's of a genuine Me 262 from the second world war which is still flying today, although it does have more modern engines.

Me262

Actually, this is not an original WWII ME 262. It's an ME 262 In A-1 configuration, produced by The ME-262 "Stormbirds" project team in Everett Washington, who specializes in re-creating ME-262s for museums and flight enthusiasts around the world. The aircraft are built using original plans and manufacturing specs licensed from Messerschmitt aircraft. This particular aircraft is Werknummer 501244, and is powered by two GE CJ610 engines. It was built for and sold to Messerschmitt in 2016, and first flew at the Berlin Air show in that year. It's an impressive aircraft and a fascinating project. You can read more about it here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_262_Project

The ME-262 project has built at least six flying aircraft, and they are accurate reproductions, except for the engines and avionics. They also build full scale non-powered aircraft for museums. One interesting aspect of the project is they build ME-262s that can be converted from the -A1 to the two seat "B" model. I believe the Collings foundation here in the US has a program where you can "buy" flight time in the rear seat of one of the "convertibles". I live about 60 miles from the Stormbirds facility-- they used to have tours, but I haven't been following them lately.
VR, Russ
brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
AeroScale: 158 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 06:47 AM UTC
Beat me to it, Russ.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 08:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beat me to it, Russ.

It's fascinating to see the ME 262 flying and up close, and these guys take great pains to get the airframe as close to as possible to the original, so it's not unusual to assume these are original. By agreement with Messerchmitt AG, they have continued the werknummers from the last original aircraft, and continue to stamp and mark airframes with subsequent werknummers authorized but Messerschmitt. The engines are considerably more dependable than the original Jumo's were, which makes them pretty safe to fly nowadays, as the video shows.
VR, Russ
brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 09:27 AM UTC
Also not as much risk of being shot up on take off and landing as there used to be.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 09:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also not as much risk of being shot up on take off and landing as there used to be.

Yep-- that's a good thing too

VR, Russ
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 10:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Beat me to it, Russ.

It's fascinating to see the ME 262 flying and up close, and these guys take great pains to get the airframe as close to as possible to the original, so it's not unusual to assume these are original. By agreement with Messerchmitt AG, they have continued the werknummers from the last original aircraft, and continue to stamp and mark airframes with subsequent werknummers authorized but Messerschmitt. The engines are considerably more dependable than the original Jumo's were, which makes them pretty safe to fly nowadays, as the video shows.
VR, Russ

how much do they charge for a fully flying version of the Me 262... just curious incase i have that big win on the lottery
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 12:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Beat me to it, Russ.

VR, Russ

how much do they charge for a fully flying version of the Me 262... just curious incase i have that big win on the lottery

That's a question I don't know the exact answer to, however, I do recall a local Seattle TV news station doing a report on the first "flying 262" they produced, and the test flight. As I recall, the price mentioned was somewhere over $1 million USD. The price might have come down since they have manufactured others. Of course, a museum reproduction without engines would be a lot cheaper-- you could park it on your roof or in your backyard and pretend I guess!!
VR, Russ
brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 01:07 PM UTC
The Stormbird project only built five planes, and that was it. The website is now full of broken image links, and doesn't appear active at all.

So, you may have to wait until someone decides to sell one...by which point they will be even more costly, I'll wager. However, I did see a restored (30% original parts) non-flyer for sale at just over $500,000 online.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 01:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Stormbird project only built five planes, and that was it. The website is now full of broken image links, and doesn't appear active at all.

So, you may have to wait until someone decides to sell one...by which point they will be even more costly, I'll wager. However, I did see a restored (30% original parts) non-flyer for sale at just over $500,000 online.

I think the Messerschmitt bird was the last sale I've seen go public, and that was in 2016. I haven't paid much attention since, but there has been at least one more flying bird built since then for a private customer as I understand it. I did a quick search and found one of their un-powered 262As for sale for $575,000, but don't know how old the announcement was. Could be they are out of business. I'll ask around in our local modeling club sponsored by the Seattle Museum of Flight, which is full of retired Boeing engineers-- I'm sure one of them knows.
VR, Russ
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2018 - 02:25 PM UTC
Without taking time to research it, I recall this marvelous project began with Texas Warbirds Factory Company ( or something like that) but when they couldn't finish the project, Stormbirds was organized and took it over. I recall that the origibal plans came from US Navy, which had a ME 262 at Paux River, and the deal was Stormbirds used it as the model be restoring it, and/or crating a flyable one for USN (presumably for bragging rights over USAF) and Stormbirds got to build others for other customers.

Back in 2007 IIRC, Collins Foundation was advertising flights and packages for their B-17, B-24, P-51B, and ME 262. I recall the main package of time in each was around $250,000, including a type rating in the ME 262. I recall an hour in a bomber with a 262 making passes at it for photo purposes was $25,000.

Any up-to-date info will be happily received.
 _GOTOTOP