_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
1:72 Revell F/A-18F Weapons Loadout
GawainBS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
KitMaker: 17 posts
AeroScale: 17 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 11:02 PM UTC
Hey all,

I've started working on this kit and I'm wondering about the loadout options. I also got three sets of Hasegawa's 1:72 weapon sets.
It comes with to AIM-9Xs, two AMRAAMs, two HARMs, FLIR pod, three droptanks and two Mk83 slick bombs. I plan on arming it with the 9Xs on the wingtips, the HARMs on the outer pylons, then either GBU-31s or JSSOWs on the middle pylons, droptanks on the inner pylons & centre line and the FLIR pod and one AMRAAM on the "shoulder" hardpoints.

Would that be a "realistic" or representative loadout? I'm leaning more towards the JSSOWs, but I think that the green of the GBU-31s would be more aesthetically pleasing.

Could you offer any advice, please?
Magpie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 653 posts
AeroScale: 165 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 11:15 AM UTC
That sounds like a fair enough load out.

You can see it in this pic

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/us-navy-extends-orbital-atk-agm-88e-production-423546/

Or you could go LGB, JSOW and HARM although it's pretty rare a Hornet goes on a missio with out 3 drop tanks

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Superbug/4292.html
GawainBS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 - 07:35 PM UTC
Thank you! Indeed, I think that the "coolest" loadout is with GBUs, JSSOW & HARM, but the nerd in me cries out to see a Rhino without three droptanks.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 - 03:58 AM UTC
[quote]Would that be a "realistic" or representative loadout? I'm leaning more towards the JSSOWs, but I think that the green of the GBU-31s would be more aesthetically pleasing.

[quote]

The key consideration may be "realistic". According to a weapons loader I spoke with recently, the pictures (even te in-flight ones) of F-16 or other fighters with heaps of weapons on every pylon are totally unrealistic because such heavy weapon loads ruin manouverability and range, and are therefore very unpractical.

He pinted towards the F-22/F-35 that have a very small (internal) weapon load. He claimed that this was under war conditions (and not demonstrations) more or less the same what an F-16 would carry.

Comparing this of what I know of the standard configurations used over Syria for bombing ISIS, he may be right.
GawainBS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 - 08:59 AM UTC
Thanks. I might be going for the JSOW then.
 _GOTOTOP