_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
OK,So heres my problem.
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 04:56 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
Several weeks ago I picked up the old Dragon Fokker DVIII the Knights of the Sky Version with the Bust. It was the Bust I was really after.The a/c was a bonus.
Anyway got the aircraft to the decaling point and they just crumble even on the sheet they feel like they have been left in the sun. Given it is a lozenge scheme can I even get such a thing aftermarket and I'm no where crazy enough to contemplate painting it.Guess I just did.

comments/suggestions or alternative schemes that aren't Lozenged..is that even a word?

Thanks Guys

Chris
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
AeroScale: 290 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 05:16 PM UTC
Lozenge decal sheets are available, but I will leave it to the aircraft boys to direct you.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 06:11 PM UTC
Chris,

Aviattic is the most often-mentioned name when model builders talk about quality lozenge.

Here is a link:
https://www.aviattic.co.uk/148-lozenge-decals.html

Good luck in your search!

Gaz
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:43 PM UTC
Hi Chris how about this or this?
WIggus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 01:32 AM UTC
I just yesterday happened to see that HGM makes lozenge decals for both upper and lower wings, in both 4 and 5 color lozenge, in various scales. They look very nice.

http://hgwmodels.cz/en/7-hgw-decals

They also have a wide range of nice aftermarket details.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 06:34 AM UTC
Just for future reference-- Micro-Scale makes decal solution that can be used to clear-coat old decals which keeps them from deteriorating-- all you need to do is paint it on and let dry--its self-leveling. I've used Micro-Scale Decal solution to restore decals that were over 50 years old. You can also use it to make your own decals with decal paper and an ink jet printer.
VR, Russ Bucy
Vicious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 11:28 AM UTC
check also here for wood,leather and other stuff...

https://www.uschivdr.com/
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 02:05 PM UTC
Guys,
Thanks so much for the replies.

Chris (awesome name) Thanks for the photos The yellow and black one I think may be a little tough besides I'd end up going mad but the other more thought required might be a goer.

Russ, I'll need to see if my hobby store carries Micro Scale solution but if not I'm wondering if any of the others work? or for that case a coat of clear ?

More thought required and perhaps some experimentation.

Chris.

Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 03:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys,
Thanks so much for the replies.

Chris (awesome name) Thanks for the photos The yellow and black one I think may be a little tough besides I'd end up going mad but the other more thought required might be a goer.

Russ, I'll need to see if my hobby store carries Micro Scale solution but if not I'm wondering if any of the others work? or for that case a coat of clear ?

More thought required and perhaps some experimentation.

Chris.

Not Micro-Scale solution-- Micro Scale Decal liquid-- it's the carrier film for decals. If they care micro-scale products, they can get the Decal liquid. The key word is "Decal".

VR, Russ
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 04:07 PM UTC
Hi Chris (it is an awesome name isn't it?) Acorn Models carry Micro Scale Decal film (I have some in my possession) down here in Christchurch. If you'd like I can send you some up send me a PM if you'd like to and we'll sort out the details. I've also seen some straight red coloured examples of the DVIII, think Von Richthofen's flying circus.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 - 02:36 AM UTC
Chris-- you said Fokker DVIII right? Meaning the "Flying Razor"-- Fokker's single wing aircraft. There are at least two alternate schemes I know of where the fuselage is not painted in Lozenge. The first is a striking Naval DVIII in wide yellow and black stripes on the fuselage (There is some debate as to the exact scheme-- as photos are few, but there are lots of Profiles in print). And there are overall green DVIII's in post war Polish colors as well. The wing was not in Lozenge-- it was a special green "streaked" color. I believe there was at least one other scheme that used a non-Lozenge fuselage color, but I can't recall it now.
VR, Russ
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 - 08:24 AM UTC
Greetings Chris,

The reference to Aviattic is the best recommendation you can get. No contest for Aftermarket 4 & 5 color lozenge. They have factory fresh and faded examples for sale. I used the 5 color factory fresh and faded on a couple of Eduard SSW D.III kit builds. I had excellent results.

chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 - 12:51 PM UTC
Chris, Thanks so much for the kind offer.unfortunately I don't have access to a printer at present. But I'm going to try and hunt out pictures of the RED DVIII it would look quite striking.

Russ,I just saw Stephen posted a picture of an Eduard release and the box art showed that particular aircraft, If I can't find photographic evidence of the RED once Chris mentions this my Backup a/c. Black and Yellow stripes,How hard can it Be? Given its me Probably really difficult>

Stephen Please refer to your Eduard Lozenge Post please

Thanks Guys

Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 - 05:08 PM UTC
Chris, if you PM me with your email, I can send you some scans of DVIII's showing some alternative schemes.
VR, Russ
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 02:27 PM UTC
Hi Russ

PM on its way.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP