_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Moving a B-52 -- by road!
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 05:12 AM UTC
Some of you may be aware the Seattle Museum of Flight has restored a Vietnam War B-52, and recently moved it from the Boeing facility at Paine Field Washington, to the Seattle Museum of Flight-- by road, a distance of about 25 miles. The aircraft will be used as the centerpiece in a new Vietnam War tribute exhibit. The following photo shoot of the move is really impressive. It's hard to believe this huge aircraft could be broken into three main parts (2 wings and the fuselage), then moved over an active highway system. The length of the rig to move the wings alone is impressive. Here's a link to photos from the move:

http://www.rbogash.com/B-52/B-52_Transport.html

Just to add to this, there are a couple of good aerial shots of the B-52 fuselage, wings and stabilizers, with a restored B-25 in the background. The B-52 stabilizers are almost as big as the B-25 parked nearby! The close up shots of the B-52 fuselage show a lot of detail as well-- the weld seams and "wrinkle marks" on the fuselage really show how the aircraft was put together.
VR, Russ
Bigred69
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 290 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 06:52 AM UTC
Awesome, I stood in front of the B-52 at the Air Force Academy, let me tell you it was an Impressive! What a filling, just sends shivers down my back. This will be the Masterpiece of the Display.
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 01:55 PM UTC
Awesome

I would love to see one up close but we are so so far away.

Chris
Scarred
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 - 07:18 PM UTC
I was stationed on Kelly AFB back in the 80's and watched B-52's come in all the time. Big fellows and noisy as heck.
 _GOTOTOP