_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Recoilless rifles
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 10:12 PM UTC
Am trying to put together the extra parts for a minor kit mod, and am curious if one of those parts, a recoilless rifle, would be available, either as part of another kit or as an accessory.

I have a 1/72 scale model of the Avrocar, the Fly kit of the Avrocar Racer X. While straight out of the box it's a nice kit, I thought I'd build it as it was originally intended for the Army as a flying jeep. I got the book "Canada's Flying Saucer", which not only chronicles the development of the Averocar, but also a nice concise history of AvroCanada. Toward the back of the book is an illustration of a pair of Avrocars flying NOE, with a sergeant pilot and a gunner with a recoilless rifle, lining up on a pair of tanks a few hundred meters ahead.

I'm not much for olive drab, but in a whif, that's different. And this is a pretty good kit to do that with.
RLlockie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 12:31 AM UTC
I’m not aware of any recoilless rifles in 1/72 but the shape isn’t hugely complex. Depending on the version (57mm, 75mm, 106mm?) it may be worth borrowing a 1/35 example, at least two of which are available in plastic, to give you an idea of dims and shapes.
Scarred
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 12:51 AM UTC
AOSHIMA 07969 JGSDF Type 60 Self-propelled 106mm Recoilless Gun 1/72. HLJ.com has them for about $13.00
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 02:51 AM UTC
Welp, in the illustration, the gunner is next to the rifle, which is mounted on a single post. After looking at that for a while, not knowing the first thing about them, I looked up recoilless rifle in google image and got a number of different ones.

As this was supposed to be the 49-58(or so) time frame, I figure the smaller caliber. All I can tell from the illustration is that the rifle itself is small enough to be hefted around by a single operator. Roughly judging, using my own arm for scale, I'd say that the diameter of the barrel is something close to a couple inches at most.

I have little knowledge about battlefield armaments, being mostly aviation, so I'm kind of winging it at this point.

I wouldn't mind an Avrocar in 1/35 or 1/32, because that'd free me up for more detailing, but for the nonce, I'm stuck with 1/72, and if I have to scratch a rifle, I will, just from the illustration itself, but being a typical modeller, I am also possessed of a certain amount of laziness, and thought there might be one at this scale.

I'm having the same problem with the COW Gun, because I'd been trying to scratch a set of plans for a paper plane that was to be equipped with the Gun, and I'd like to do it in 1/72(it's in the Sunderland class patrol 'boats) due to its size. In 1/48, it'd be magnificent, and there is a 1/48 COW Gun, though, and huge.
 _GOTOTOP