Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 "Rufe" floatplane
WIggus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 02:33 AM UTC
I was at a local store (the last in my area that carries any models) and I saw Tamiya's venerable A6M2-N "Rufe". I didn't have plans on buying a kit, but I wanted to support them for stocking models, and for some reason I am a sucker for floatplanes, especially bi-planes with floats. I have no idea why. I have no aviation or nautical background.

I intended to put it on the shelf since I was working on a Spitfire at the time. Then I saw a post by AussieReg of a rusted engine stand for a Clerget 130 engine. That inspired me; I wanted to try and rust something up. The gantry for the A6M2 seemed like a great piece to start on.

Well, once I had the dolly finished...I couldn't just stop, could I?
WIggus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 02:48 AM UTC
According to Scalemates, this kit has barely changed since its release in 1973. I expected this to be quick, little build. But I screwed up the paint color and spent a long time misting grays and buffs, and using oils until I got it to a point I could live with. But in the end I love how it turned out. Now where am I going to put it?

WIggus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 02:57 AM UTC
Some finished shots:

rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 07:14 AM UTC
Just Wow! Wiggus, your Rufe proves that dome old models can be made to become showcases. The overall looks of the plane is just realistic and that trolley looks terrific. If I understood it correctly you made from scratch right?

Cheers
Pedro
WIggus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 - 08:43 AM UTC
Thank you Pedro.
No...that trolly (dolly, gantry, sled??) comes with the kit. Otherwise it won’t stand straight on its own.
 _GOTOTOP