Modern aircraft of the United States.
FA18-F wing pylon qusetion
JeffCsr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 08:39 PM UTC
I am working on an F18F and have gotten to teh wing pylons. What I rear is they are canted 3% out in order to provent ordinance from striking the plane.

My question is if I leave off the inner pylons are the outer pylons still subject to the 3% toe out? To me it makes for an unattractive model.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 04:27 AM UTC
That sounds like more or less two degrees to me. I doubt that you would be able to see such small difference on your model
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 07:55 AM UTC
One of the F-18E/F's most obvious characteristics is the peculiar angle of the pylons, which are always canted 3deg outwards whenever they're attached. (It's because of the mounting points - there's no structure where they can be attached without the angle.) You would definitely be able to see they were wrong if you didn't cant yours. Especially as 3deg on one side plus 3deg on the other side adds up to 6deg, which is surprisingly noticeable.

It is, of course, just odd. But if we judged our output by how unattractive it looked, there's a lot of candidates ahead of it in the queue ...
JeffCsr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 01:28 PM UTC
Roger that, canted they shall be,
 _GOTOTOP