_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Revell MiG-15 in 1/48
LowFiveJoe_2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 47 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hey all,

I acquired this kit from a friend who was trying to thin out his stash. I've been building in 1/72 exclusively, not to mention entirely German, so this is proving to be a fun excursion. I plan on doing a Russian, NMF scheme. Here's where I am so far...

At this scale, I thought it would be important to try and drill out the cannon and MG barrels.

I still need to dress up the area around what I assume is the gun camera. After that, I need to remember how I mixed the interior grey color so I can paint the canopy rails and the area behind the cockpit. As far as I can tell wheel wells could be the same color.

Thanks for looking and here's hoping I've figured out how to post images this go round...
LowFiveJoe_2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2018 - 05:47 AM UTC
A quick update on my MiG build. I'm on to the primer stage and (I think) I'm making decent progress. I followed some of the techniques from the fine examples in the Quick Silver campaign. Here's how my first coat came out.

I'm using Testors' gloss black from the can (I know...). A few thin passes, and as you can see I had to fix some seam lines.
I went back and covered the flaws again.

I think I'm getting there slowly. Straight from the can may be limiting me, but I'm planning on smoothing this coat out with micro mesh. Maybe polishing the coat is a better term. Definitly a learning experience.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 09:11 AM UTC
Joe,
So far so good with your venture in the to world of 1/48 scale.

As for the black gloss primer coat, Just go easy with light passes using the #4,000 pad wet. And stay away from any raised lines as you'll remove the paint in one or two passes.

Looking forward to your next update.

Joel
LowFiveJoe_2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 10:57 AM UTC
Thanks Joel. I should be ready in another day or so. Definitely a learning experience all around.
LowFiveJoe_2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 11:59 AM UTC
Well, here it is at long last.

A lot of firsts for me here; first 1/48 scale in nearly 40 years, first NMF, first soviet subject. I also practiced removing raised panel lines and rescribing them.

I was going for a slightly grubby appearance; well maintained but also well used.

Close-ups show off some of the flaws. I'll apply the lessons to my next build. I'm not sure how to model and paint the burner section, so I'm purposely not showing a purely rear aspect shot

And finally, here's the malinkoi chelovik that comes with the kit.

All in all, a fun build. Thanks for looking.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 07:04 PM UTC
Looks great!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 01:04 AM UTC
Very nicely done. Plenty of 1sts that you succeeded at all of them.

The best advice I can give you for replicating exhausts is just google Jet model videos, and once you find you like, you're home free.

Joel
LowFiveJoe_2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - 04:14 AM UTC
Thanks Gents! I will definitely do some research on replicating exhaust as you suggest Joel. I'm thinking this will not be my last Soviet jet; very interesting subject.
 _GOTOTOP