_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard 1/48 BF-109's
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 11:15 AM UTC
Two questions for you experts out there? Eduard produces the F-2 and F-4 and the G-6 early and G-6 late. My questions are these.... Can a F-2 kit be used to build an f-4, and can a G-6 Early be used to build a G-6 Late? I have looked at the directions for the F-2 and F-4 and cannot see a difference here. I have a few F-2's and want to build an F-4. Can this be done with the parts in the kit.

Thanks in Advance,
Herky
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 01:09 PM UTC
From what I can see, the contents of the G-6 kits are identical in what comes to the plastic parts and PE, the only difference being in the masks: the "early" kit has masks for the regular canopy, "late" kit for the Erla Haube canopy.

As for the F-2 and F-4 kits, their contents do differ:
- Wings: F-2 has angular main wheel well openings, F-4 has round openings.
- PE frets: F-2 includes a small extra fret w/ fins & mounting brackets for 50kg bombs used in 1 marking option (two main PE fret appear identical in content).
- mask sheet: minor differences w/ F-2 having additional pieces for masking the inside of canopy rear section, and F-4 having a mask piece for the added external windscreen armored glass used in some marking options.

So, if you're using aftermarket decals and don't mind potentially having to mask the part of the canopy behind the windscreen yourself, it makes no difference which boxing you get.
With the F-2 and F-4 it does matter, however. The F-2 has the PE fret for using the 4 x 50kg bomb rack, and the kits include slightly diffent wings.

No need to be that much of an expert in this one actually, since Eduard conveniently has their kit instructions downloadable as PDF files on their website, along with comprehensive product content pictures.
F-2
F-4
G-6 "early"
G-6 "late"

Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 03:12 PM UTC
I have downloaded all of the Directions already, was just trying to see if there might be something I was missing. I did see all of the G's minus the -10 seemed to be identical. After posting this I did see the difference you mentioned about the F-2 and F-4. Well crap, I wanted to do an F-4. I guess I will have to by one of those soon. Oh well can never have too many BF-109's

Thanks for the help.
Herky
warmonger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 01:32 PM UTC
I haven't looked at the kits in a bit, but the G-6 early should have a short tale and framed canopy, while the late can have those or the "Galland" canopy and the tall tale or any combo of them.
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 03:34 PM UTC

Zvezda's G has all the G-6 parts, maybe even G-14, and is a more accurate kit around the windscreen, rear nose, and the depth of fuselage around these.

Gaston
ejasonk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 314 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 03:45 PM UTC
G6: yes, parts for both late and early are in the kit: different type of canopies, different tails

F2/4: gets complicated. Early F4 has rounded wheel bays, those wing undersides are not in the F2 kit. However, most F2 would have the early type seat, this sit is not present on both kits. Basically, both kits represent the F4. Early and late.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 - 05:59 PM UTC
The Eduard G-6's come with everything you need to make early or late G-6's or G-14's.
 _GOTOTOP