_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
tamiya paint in jars
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 02:16 AM UTC
i was just wondering what are the best tamiya paints that come in jars that are close to WW2 german luftwaffe colours...for example xf63 german grey
brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
AeroScale: 158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 03:28 AM UTC
None; they all have to be mixed.
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 04:40 AM UTC
You might want to go to Hobby Search and look up what Tamiya recommends for their own German aircraft models.

The only paint I see which has RLM in the title is XF-22 RLM Grey.
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You might want to go to Hobby Search and look up what Tamiya recommends for their own German aircraft models.

The only paint I see which has RLM in the title is XF-22 RLM Grey.

Thanks for the link.

I'm painting of the German hanuebu that's made by pegasus and I generally only use tamiya paints so that is the reason I need a little help
ghauser
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 05:52 AM UTC
I usually use the Testors Model Master acrylics for the German colors.
brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
AeroScale: 158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - 07:09 AM UTC
Looking at the images in that link the directions on the 1/48 Bf 109-G has the mix ratios shown for the colors. Whether or not they have the RLM colors the Haunebu requires I don't know; you may have to check a few German kits to round up all the mixes you need.
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 693 posts
AeroScale: 551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 07:03 AM UTC
I love Tamiya paints, especially thinned with Mr Levelling Thinner, but yes the range is limited compared to some other manufacturers. I end up mixing my own colours and not worrying too much about an exact match with factory swatches. Here's why...

Colour is dynamic - it changes. Operational wear and tear combined with weathering and variations in the quality of paint, together with the effect of scale on perceptions of colour, and prevailing light conditions mean that an 'exact match' is more often about art than science for me. If it looks right it is right that's my motto. Colour references help if you can find them and also serve to show how colours aren't static.

If mixing seems daunting then have a go before you apply paint to your model, and check out some of the artist's stuff on Youtube to get a glimpse into colour theory. Once you start you'll feel liberated from the tyranny of the search for the perfect match. Ahem, getting carried away, but you get my approach by now. Not everyone likes it, but it works for me. Mixing colours has become part of the fun :-) Oh, and I have fewer jars of partly used paint slowly drying out too.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 09:52 AM UTC
Love Tamiya paints , been using them for many moons now and just started using their lacquer line of paints .

Before the late 80's Tamiya used to list the colours for different nations aircraft and armour in their cal/log . Since the late 80's they stop doing it .

Here are the German aircraft shades it's not much but as James has pointed out on colour . You can lighten or darken to your own taste .

XF22 RLM grey interior and camo
XF23 light blue lower side camo
XF24 dark grey camo
XF25 light sea grey camo
XF26 deep green camo
XF27 black green camo

Terri
Thirian24
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hello,

I was curious what is best used for grey violet. I know tamiya has this in a spray can, but I would rather this in a smaller version as I don't need 100ml of it.

Thanks for any help
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
AeroScale: 295 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I love Tamiya paints, especially thinned with Mr Levelling Thinner, but yes the range is limited compared to some other manufacturers. I end up mixing my own colours and not worrying too much about an exact match with factory swatches. Here's why...

Colour is dynamic - it changes. Operational wear and tear combined with weathering and variations in the quality of paint, together with the effect of scale on perceptions of colour, and prevailing light conditions mean that an 'exact match' is more often about art than science for me. If it looks right it is right that's my motto. Colour references help if you can find them and also serve to show how colours aren't static.

If mixing seems daunting then have a go before you apply paint to your model, and check out some of the artist's stuff on Youtube to get a glimpse into colour theory. Once you start you'll feel liberated from the tyranny of the search for the perfect match. Ahem, getting carried away, but you get my approach by now. Not everyone likes it, but it works for me. Mixing colours has become part of the fun :-) Oh, and I have fewer jars of partly used paint slowly drying out too.

I'm right behind you, Andrew! I don't even bother look for the "correct" Luftwaffe colors any longer - there are too many correct colors for any to be wrong

Gabriel
 _GOTOTOP