_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Academy P-51B 1/72 (My first foray)
kunjuro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 06:07 AM UTC
Hey folks. I'm a 1/35 armor guy, but I decided to try my hand at aircraft. Here's my first foray into 1/72 that I actually finished. As it has been quite rainy here in the Philippines, I also decided to not use my airbrush and try out hand painting the plane. I think I'm mostly done, just not sure whether to weather the engine exhausts and add streaking soot behind it.

Academy P-51B 1/72
Paints used:
Vallejo Model Color Silver
Vallejo Model Color Red
Tamiya Flat Yellow (No stock of Vallejo yellow yet)
Vallejo MC Dark Rubber
Vallejo Brown Violet (US OD)

Canopy dipped in Pledge varnish.
Entire model given a gloss coat of Bosny.
I painted the Olive Drab section with an overlay of Vallejo Matte Varnish to dull the sheen.
Panel lines were highlighted with Tamiya Black Enamel Panel Liner.

Would appreciate any constructive criticism. Looking forwad to building more of these things. Thanks!

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2018 - 06:51 AM UTC
Great kit, my first dose of Academy. It's been nearly 20 years since I built it, but I don't recall any real issues with it. Wasn't brave enough to try a NMF at the time. Getting the striped spinner painted was a challenge.
kunjuro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2018 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great kit, my first dose of Academy. It's been nearly 20 years since I built it, but I don't recall any real issues with it. Wasn't brave enough to try a NMF at the time. Getting the striped spinner painted was a challenge.

Thanks mate. Yeah, t'was a good kit. Just some problems with the tail allignment as it was a separate piece. I actually did a NMF finish because I thought it would be easier to make a single-color finish one hehe. Would definitely want to try out some of the more exotic camouflages.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2018 - 02:30 PM UTC
I like your build , turned out nice . I have built this kit in the past before and yes the tail is tricky on getting it to line up right .

Terri
golfermd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2018 - 10:34 AM UTC
Nigel, very nice finish for brush painting.
kunjuro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 03:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like your build , turned out nice . I have built this kit in the past before and yes the tail is tricky on getting it to line up right .

Terri

Quoted Text

Nigel, very nice finish for brush painting.

Thanks golfermd and thegirl! Really appreciate it. I am now working on a P-40N soon. I will be posting progress on that soon.
 _GOTOTOP