_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Modern Air to Air Kill markings.
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 - 06:47 PM UTC
Hi All,
Now I know not to believe everything you see/read on the internet,however please god tell me this isn't true.

That the USAF and possibly the Navy now record Air to Air Kills with a green Star rather than the flag or similar of the kill.

Now I realise that Aerial combat is not a happening thing currently,but I'd be pissed if I was told I couldn't paint my opponents flag below the cockpit.

Blood pressure returning to normal now.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 12:05 AM UTC
Chris,
Seems as though the Air Force made that change in 2010 so while this is news to me, it doesn't appear to be news to Wikipedia. The USAF hasn't always used flags to denote kills. For example, in Vietnam stars were used, so this isn't anything that hasn't been done before. I'm guessing the Green/black colors are more compatible with a low-vis color scene. I would also think that in an era were relationships are so fluid it might not make sense to use flags any longer. Say for example if an aircraft from Desert Storm or OIF were to show up in Iraq with a bunch of Iraqi flags painted on the side, that might not be very diplomatic.

_GOTOTOP