_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
News
Tamiya: New Tool Spitfire Mk.I Update
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 04:28 AM UTC

Tamiya has posted images of the sprues, full build and cockpit interiors of their new tool 1/48 scale Spitfire Mk.1rn

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2018 - 09:15 AM UTC
Cheers Tim

Logically, this should be causing great excitement - and it's certainly attracting plenty of views - so the somewhat "Whatever..." reaction might have Tamiya's market research team scratching their heads.

Undoubtedly, it'll be an incremental improvement on their existing kit - but I hope it doesn't mean too much of a price-hike at the same time...

If it does, I hope Tamiya continue production of their existing kit in the same way they still offer their cut-price old-mould Mitsubishi A6M Zero.

All the best

Rowan
PRH001
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2018 - 12:02 PM UTC
I for one am looking forward to it. The engineering looks to be very nice and I prefer working with Tamiya plastic versus Airfix. The Airfix kit is quite nice from everything I’ve heard, but after seeing the Tamiya Ki-61 and their latest Bf-109, I can hardly wait to try this kit.
With that said, they need to make sure the shapes are correct, as the Spitfire is too well documented not to.

Paul H
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 09:13 AM UTC
Hi Paul

Yep - it looks good and I'm sure I'll buy one. I must admit the way Tamiya seem to have handled the elevators is a disappointment, though - their highlight photo of the tail assembly seems to show a solid tailplane, so it'll need some surgery to depict the classic drooped Spitfire elevators for a parked aircraft. It'll probably come with a premium price tag, so separate control surfaces would have been nice.

All the best

Rowan
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 10:12 AM UTC
Tamiya's 109G6 got the same treatment in the tail.

Gaz
 _GOTOTOP