_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Copper State Nieuport 17
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hi all

A stunning surprise landed out of the blue today on the Isle of Wight! Copper State's gorgeous new 1:32 Nieuport 17:

I truly wasn't expecting this, so I'll start off with a huge thank-you to Edgar at CSM!

First inspection shows the kit is every bit as exciting as we've all hoped - so, along with an in-box review that will follow shortly, I can't resist getting stuck in with a full-build!

I'm up to my neck at Oxfam, plus I have a book to write, but this kit just looks that irresistible! So, work permitting, more very soon...

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 - 02:06 PM UTC
Looking forward to this one Rowan . Still waiting for my to arrive in the mail .

Terri
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 - 03:33 PM UTC
Sweet!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 - 04:16 PM UTC
Sweet. I've only heard good things about them.

So ironic that with as much time as I spend in Phoenix, I did not know of CSM until several years ago.
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 11:35 AM UTC
I picked mine up (Late version) at the IPMS Nats and if the plastic parts were in a WNW box, no one would doubt otherwise that it was a WNW kit...it is that good!

Gary
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 09:14 AM UTC
Hi Gary

I quite agree - this is an absolute gem in terms of detail.

No pics yet, but I made a start on the build today after getting the "First Look" Review safely posted.

All's going well - I'd just caution that some of the interior parts are very delicate, so cleaning up the sprue attachments does require real care. It's not a job for anyone who's impatient or heavy-handed.

All the best

Rowan
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 10:43 AM UTC
Rowan, this looks like a great kit— but I have to ask some questions— the Nieuport 17 had an oil tank just to the rear of the engine— I see a provision for the filler tank cap in the cowling, but no tank on the sprue shots— is one provided? Also, those two flanges on top of the cowling were actually there because that section was removable to allow the cowling to swing down and clear the prop. As such, they should have a line of retaining bolts along the flange line, but I can’t tell if those are there from the photos. Other than those items, this looks like a fantastic kit! Thanks for posting!
VR, Russ
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 11:49 AM UTC
Hi Russ

Yes - the oil tank is provided OK (it was actually the first part I fitted today) and, as you say, its filler spout lines up with the hole in the cowling.

Looking at period photos, I see what you mean about the bolts on the flanges. They're absent in the kit, but I think it would take a very complex mould to create them. Thanks for the heads-up about them - I'll add them using a punch and die when I get to that stage.

All the best

Rowan
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 06:39 PM UTC
Rowan,
I did a complete rebuild of the Academy/Hobbycraft/Italeri (all the same kit, just in different boxes) several years back that appears as a feature over on Large Scale Planes. I did quite a bit of research on the Nieuport 17 series, and found some good photos on line of one that had been exported to the US back in 1917. They show the top part of the cowling as a separate removable part. Which has a flange that mates up with a flange on the lower part of the cowling with bolt heads. I replicated mine with Archer fine transfer "rivets". This looks like a great kit. There should also be a fuel filler cap right behind or near the oil filler cap on the fuselage side too-- I don't see it in the kit, but it's probably there. This kit looks like it "fixes" many of the shortcomings of the previously mentioned Academy molds, I'll be watching your build with interest. Not sure I want to take on another Nieuport as I've built 4 in the last ten years, but your build of this nice looking kit may convince me otherwise!
VR, Russ
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2018 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hi again Russ

Copper State have moulded an opening in the top-decking that lines up with the spout for the kit's fuel tank.

After my previous post it occurred to me that using fine-tip technical drawing pen might work to depict the bolts - or, as you say, rivet decals. I probably will try the punch & die trick for the extra depth to approximate the look of the surrounding rivets on the cowling.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 - 09:38 AM UTC
Hi again

Still no pics to show, but I have been chugging on when I get a chance. I'll underline my previous caution about how delicate some of the interior parts are - no mishaps here yet, but I've come pretty close.

OK - a little colour question for everyone. The instructions call for mid-blue for some of interior components, but I haven't found anything online as an original reference colour yet (most rebuilds/replicas have bare metal).

Any ideas? "French Blue" or more muted?

All the best

Rowan
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 - 09:42 AM UTC
I used French blue-grey in my last Nieuport. It seemed to do the job properly.
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 - 10:55 AM UTC
Look forward to seeing some WIP shots Rowan!

Gary
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi Jessie

Thank you - that's a great help, and tallies neatly with an email from Ray Rimell:

"The French employed at least two shades of Horizon Bleu for their aircraft, the enamels used on most metal fittings, rigging cables, brackets, bombs etc... According to Alan D Toelle and my references here the lighter version is closely matched to Tamiya paint XF23 and to Humbrol 65. For the darker bleu it's near to Tamiya 18 and Humbrol's 96 so you have a choice of either although both colours were found on the Smithsonian Caudron G.4 when they were restoring it. This blue was applied en masse by the French-on helmets, field equipment and artillery, wagons etc, not just on aircraft."

@ Gary - they're coming. I've got the morning off work tomorrow, so I hope to get a bit done. I'm certainly getting closer to throwing some paint at the first sub-assemblies.

All the best

Rowan
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 - 11:12 AM UTC
Rowan, I was going to mention Testor's flat enamel "Intermediate Blue" is also a good match, but don't suppose you can get it on your side of the pond. The Nieuport 17 rigging was also painted in this color as far as I understand from my research-- and WnW sells Berkshire Industries "EZ Line" rigging in that shade if you want to go that route. "French Blue" is the French equivalent to German "Field Grey" in its use during both world wars.
VR, Russ
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 - 07:53 AM UTC
Cheers Russ

You can get Testor's paints over here, but they aren't generally available in local shops (they were more common about 20 years ago). I had a quick hunt through my stock of paints this morning and found an old pot of Tamiya XF-18 that's still good, so I should be OK with that.

The basics of the interior are ready for me to start throwing some paint at them tomorrow afternoon after work. I've done my usual trick and jumped around a bit in the instruction's recommended sequence and also have the engine ready for painting, so there should be some evidence of progress before too long.

All the best

Rowan
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 - 06:53 AM UTC
Rowan, just out of curiosity, I was wondering if this late version has the cone d’ penetration in the kit box that the early CSM version has? Canadian Ace Billy Bishop flew a late Nieuport 17 with a cone d’penetration for a short while.
VR, Russ
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi Russ

No - no spinner(s) in this boxing. That's not to say that there might not be a conical spinner planned somewhere down the line on a different sprue.

So... a quick update: I'd planned to show at least the start of painting by now - but, obviously(!), that didn't happen. The reason? - work's prevented me getting in a decent session on the kit, but I've carried on building a few sub-assemblies as and when I can.

But tomorrow (Sunday) is looking clear and set to be (Starting) Painting Day - I promise! LOL!

All the best

Rowan
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Wielkopolskie, Poland
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 - 11:45 AM UTC
I`m really looking forward to your progress Rowan.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 - 03:04 AM UTC
Hi Filip

Many thanks. I'm equally looking forward to the next update on your Handley Page 0/400.

I am underway with some painting at last. Just basic colours at the moment, which will serve as undercoats to highlight where I've missed cleaning up any mould-lines etc. But a start's a start.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP