_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Huey Questions
AndersHeintz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 12:53 PM UTC
Hey Guys!

I am debating on a Diorama idea that I have been wanting to do for quite some time now and I need some answers to some questions that I have.

1) Is there any available 1/35th scale kits of the Huey Slick (Troop Transport Version)

2) What are the nessessary update sets to make it accurate for '68-'69

3) What was the normal number of men in a chopper, Im talking about normal grunts

4) What was the size of the squads that went out on patrols? Also, how many choppers would be used to get them in and out?

I hope you guys can answer some of these questions, it is greately appreciated!

TIA

kkeefe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 01:44 PM UTC
Tough questions to give accurate answers on Anders... Depending on what type of slick and where that slick was operating from.

A normal Army Infantry rifle squad (in my day... 1972-1992) consisted of 10 men plus one or two from the weapons squad, and the UH1-D and H models were designed (I believe) to carry a full rifle squad per chopper. Now, because of the not-so-good hot and high cabilities of the D model, that load was reduced 50 to 75% of a squad, so basically doubling the amout of choppers to get anthing larger than a fire team sized operation underway. This hot and high capability was improved some with the H model, but I do not think (nor do I recall ever having a full squad on the H, but my fire support team was (IIRC) was always together. I was the "A" team leader in an earlier life. You also have to figure in the extra door gunner with M60 and ammo (the other one was the chrew chief) as well, so that'll drop your squad's numbers too.

(UH1-A, B and C models were much smaller and much less capable aircraft)

Air Ops (I was S-3 Air in my later life) would vary from squad sized operations all the way up to (in my experience) Battalion sized. If you're talking 101st Air Assault, then big-time division ops would/could happen.

Airmobile ops could vary depending on the mission or threat anticipated. Really tough to nail down your answers. My suggestion would be to find a reference photo and stick to it.

Panda makes 1/35th scale UH1-D/H versions. (Basically identical externally, uprated power plant on the H.) I have not seen this kit, and the reviews that I have heard are favorable if I remember correctly. I do not know if there is any aftermarket available.

I never experienced combat ops, my flying experience was only in the US, Germany, Iceland and Canada, but flying in the Huey is something one will never forget.

A long, long time ago...
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 04:04 PM UTC
Panda is the only way to go for a Huey 'slick' in 1/35th right now.

They pantographed up a 1/48th scale Italeri kit, so the detail is so-so..

Eduard has yet to release the updates for it, but Cobra Company has or is about to do an update.

DML's Helo crew provides one flex mount M-60 and one bungee mount.

As for troop loads, I don't know. Sorry.
Mike
11Charlie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 07:46 PM UTC
I don't know if this will help or not, but when I was with 82nd Abn, we jumped from Hueys several times...which meant there were 11 men on board at once...Pilot, Co-pilot, crew chief and 8 paratroopers....granted we were sitting side by side (four on each side) and the Huey was strickly set up for transport of supplies and/or soldiers...no door guns or anything like that...could not tell you what model Huey though...that was back in 1983...

Hmmmm....sounds like a future modeling project...thanks for the idea Anders! :-)
kkeefe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...we jumped from Hueys several times...

Ya know DJ, I always wanted to do that....

Quoted Text

...could not tell you what model Huey though...that was back in 1983...

Chances are that it was the "H" model...
AndersHeintz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 08:33 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys, looks like the Panda is the way to go.

Would two choppers work with about 11-12 guys, 5-6 infantry guys in each + the crew i.e 2 door gunners, pilot and co pilot?
11Charlie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like the Panda is the way to go.

Would two choppers work with about 11-12 guys, 5-6 infantry guys in each + the crew i.e 2 door gunners, pilot and co pilot?

Kevin,
There's nothing like it on earth...far different than a C-130 or C-141...just make sure you clear the skid!!!

Anders,
That sound's like a plan...can't wait to see it in progress and finished. Keep us posted!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 09:51 AM UTC
If I were you, I would stay awau from the Panda UH-1H.. It is really crude with just about every part oversized. I have also heard that it has the wrong roror system for a D/H model. Your better bet would be the olddie, but a goodie Revell 1/32 UH-1H. It is very detailed and is much better than the Panda kit. The scale difference is negligable.
kkeefe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 01:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Kevin,
There's nothing like it on earth...far different than a C-130 or C-141...just make sure you clear the skid!!!

Yep, had dreams of just dropping out of a Huey, walking off the ramp of a Herk, and the C-141 Starlizard is my all time favorite ride but, had to settle on a C-140 (as in Cessna 140) and a 10 jumper Norseman instead . Did contemplate dropping out of a hot air balloon once but, then came jump number 28, freefall number 20.... wheeeeeeeeeeeeee.......
AndersHeintz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:13 AM UTC
Was thinking if the Panda isnt so good, what about all the MRC Huey's, can any of them be converted into a troop transporter, or were any of them used as troop transport at anytime?

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:10 AM UTC
The MRC Hueys are great, however, they are earlier B and C model hueys. They would work fine with the guns and missles left off. Theyw were not as common for troop transport once the D/H versions were fielded. If you do use them, you would need more of them since they only held a total of about 8-10 including the crew, less in high altitude-hot weather areas. The MRC UH-1s are the best on the market and build up looking really great without any aftermarket add ons. To make them a slick, remove the mounted weapons and place door gunners at the outside position on the rear troop seats with M-60s slung by bungee cord from the cabin roof. They ddin't use the flex mount door gun system. Here is a photo showing how the M-60s were mounted.
AndersHeintz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:04 AM UTC
Hey Gino!

Thanks! That is what I will do once I get ready to do the dio. How common was it to remove the seats completely and just have an empty area to sit in? I think I have seen this done in some vietnam movies, although we all know that movies can be so and so.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 06:20 AM UTC
Usually there was at least a single jump seat left for the door gunner. One of the MRC kits actually comes with the jump seat. It might be the Hoghead version with the nose mounted 40mm grenade launcher, but I am not sure.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 07:29 AM UTC
I have the Panda D model slick and like the reviews have said, its ok but could use a lot of improvement. Then again in my opinion, a good paintjob can descretly hide all of the mistakes on the model. However, I have not heard anything about the rotor system on the model and I think it is the correct one since my dad has not made any comments on it(former Huey pilot).

Anders, I have been slowly gathering some things for a diorama using a slick as well and am planning on putting about 8 troops in mine. These would just be a Blues platoon being insterted into an LZ though. I would like to add that you can use a D model for a 68-69 era dio because I have read several accounts of them flying those years.
Major_Goose
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 09:44 PM UTC
the one UH-1C that comes with only one seat is the Frog one that i have build for the Death from Above Campaign. Is a very good kit, good detail but some lil items. Not first rate decals, need some improvement in the cockpit that can be done easily and i have the needed reference if you want to send u . . The clear parts are a lil thick and need some treatment to get them well in place. But there is a nice shape of chopper and a lot of spare parts left . In many Vietnam movies and books have read that choppers operated from 2-3 and even 10 together at a time , but dont know how accurate is this. but sounds reasonable . Also seat removing and other internal modifications often took place in order the chopper to fit the crews need better . i imagine a 2 chopper dio would be very impressive. Any help i can give i d be more than happy. last one the Academy;s rotor system is a lil fragile and needs good treatment

Costas
AndersHeintz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:33 PM UTC
Thanks Guys! :-)

Ok, so lets go with the MRC/Academy choppers, which one would be best suited? I looked at the Frog and the Heavy Hog Huey's today, and was wondering about the ball on the nose, if this is easily removable or if it is part of the moulding?

Costas,

Sure buddy! Send me what ya got Can never have too much reference.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 01:06 PM UTC
The ball on the nose is a 40mm grenade launcher. I believe you can build it without the 40 mike mike. And honestly it reall doesnt matter which Academy Huey you buy because they both have the same sprues in the box, just different decals.
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Guys! :-)

Ok, so lets go with the MRC/Academy choppers, which one would be best suited? I looked at the Frog and the Heavy Hog Huey's today, and was wondering about the ball on the nose, if this is easily removable or if it is part of the mouldiing .

Anderhienz:
The 40mm on the nose is a seperate piece, so build it without. The kit you are
speeking of is an Uh1A thru C not a D/H slick as you are looking for. If you do the A/C as a slick the troop load is 6 not including the crew. If you build an D/H the load is 8 not including the crew. The side to side bench seats are removed and the pocket gunner seats are installed on both types. Bungie 60 in the doors for the crewchief and gunner..
Hope this helps. Tod
AndersHeintz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 07:32 PM UTC
Hey Guys!

Thanks a lot for that information! I'll just go with a couple of the MRC's then. Thanks again guys, your help is greatly appreciated and if you even need any help regarding figures let me know , that is more my area then the aircraft stuff. Thanks again!
 _GOTOTOP