_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
1/16 Dragon US 101st Airborne (conversion)
ambrose82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 03:00 AM UTC
I've posted pics of this in other forums, but I'm really interested in having it critiqued. This figure is Dragon's 1/16th "Screaming Eagle" 101st Airborne, Normandy 1944. The original figure has this pose...

I was dissatisfied with this pose and converted the figure to a firing position and scratchbuilt the pistol holster. I also added hair to the head because I'm not so keen on the mohawk and I want to put a helmet on him.

So far, I've painted only the basic uniform pieces using Tamiya Acrylics. I would appreciate comments on the work so far...

brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:02 AM UTC
Excellent work, you've got the pose nailed. I'm just wondering what that thing is attached to the left wrist? I hope you will post more pics as you progress.
ambrose82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 04:28 PM UTC
Oh right! I forgot about those. On his left wrist is a scratchbuilt wrist compass issued to Paratroopers. On his leg is a smaller disk. It will be a luminous disk. The luminous disk is basically a "glow in the dark" disc issued to troopers for easier identification in the dark. They were most commonly worn either on the boot (as in this picture) or on the back of the helmet. I found both of these items during my research on 101st AB equipment and history. I was able to get pictures of these things by searching for them on eBay, of all places. I've actually found eBay to be a great resource for finding pics of WWII equipment and uniforms.
God bless you, eBay!
Plasticbattle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:53 AM UTC
Great work on the conversion. Its hard to believe its the same figure!
Its not easy offering tips as you have it looking pretty good so far. The only improvement that comes to mind is the addition of a rifle strap. Good luck with the rest of the paint work!
coltm4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 164 posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2004 - 03:44 PM UTC
Wow man, thats incredible. wow. i agree.... the mohawk thing looks awful. Your reworked pose is very well done too. nice one
I would buy this kit if it had a helmet in it. Does the kit come with a US helmet?
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:16 AM UTC
Really, really good. I'm with you on the mohawk foolishness.

The only criticism I can offer, and it's truly minor, is that the butt of the rifle appears (in the first photo) to be just a touch too far out on the figure's right arm. It's almost like he's got it braced against his bicep, not his shoulder. I don't know that you should be able to see any space between his chest and the side of the rifle butt.

Beautiful work, notwithstanding that nit.
ambrose82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 09:33 AM UTC
coltm4:

This kit does not come with a helmet. I purchased the Warriors head set #1, which includes 4 heads, 2 german helmets and 2 us helmets.

Part-timer:
Yes. the rifle's too far out on his arm. It's just a bit, but I could not get it any closer. So he's prepping to fire. At least, that's my cover story .

Phantom_major:
I think it's the color of the hands that makes them look so big. White actually makes objects look larger than they are I think it's about 10%. Based on photos I've seen the actual size of the hands look right to the rifle. I don't discount I could be wrong on this one...

Envar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:11 AM UTC
Funny.
I was trying to decide which part of the right arm looks somehow weird, but all I can say is that the wrist and hand have quite uncomfortable angle. Having made a couple of figure modifications myself, these are very hard to get right, especially if you use some parts from the kit that had different pose.
But after reading your "cover story", it makes perfect sense: the guy just raised his heavy rifle and it hasnīt settled down yet. So maybe the wrist area could be bent like that.
Besides it only shows when looked at from right.

Impressive work, you really donīt have to use that much $$$ to make a detailed, top class figure!

Cheers,
Toni
 _GOTOTOP