_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Accurate Miniatures P-51B
stm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:08 AM UTC
The cockpit was re-worked wth the Waldron placard set, instruments and seat belt hardware. I tossed the cockpit seat and made one out of soda can. The side consoles were pretty much rebuilt with scratchbuilding and the placards. The instrument panel center was ground out and replaced with an insert with all the instruments in it. Placards and scratchbuilt switches and handles rounded out the rest of the panel.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hi Scott

That's looking awesome! :-) The new seat is a great improvement on the kit original.

The reworked instrument panel is fantastic - the detail on those Waldron instruments is extraordinary! (Thanks for the heads-up that I needed to modify it for my Mustang 1A too )

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hi Scott,
As I can't find anything say other than, inspirational, which sort of goes against the idea of these critique forums, I will ask a couple of questions as you obviousely know something about the P-51 and I would love to learn.
1. What colour is the cockpit, is it interior green, what manufacturers paint did you use?
2. Have you made your own seat belts, if not who's have you used?
3. What colour are the belts and is it the standard colour for US belts?
Mal
stm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Scott,
As I can't find anything say other than, inspirational, which sort of goes against the idea of these critique forums, I will ask a couple of questions as you obviousely know something about the P-51 and I would love to learn.
1. What colour is the cockpit, is it interior green, what manufacturers paint did you use?
2. Have you made your own seat belts, if not who's have you used?
3. What colour are the belts and is it the standard colour for US belts?
Mal

Thanks for the compliments!

The cockpit is ModelMaster "Interior Green" enamel. The seat belts are made of thermal paper from a gas station "pay at the pump" receipt using Waldron seat belt hardware. I painted them Neutral Gray with a little bit of Olive Drab thrown in.
FrankC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 05:47 AM UTC
Scott,
The waldron stuff looks very good. It will be pretty hard to see all that though (trust me).

I recently got the eduard color zoom for the Tamiya kit - it's spectacular! I can't wait to try it.

The only thing I would say is that the wooden floor shouldn't be "wooden" if you are shooting for extreme accuracy. It was coated in anti-skid paint, and probably painted the cockpit color, but wood would be showing through where the paint was scuffed off. But many people leave it wooden - that looks good too, but in my AMS researching of things, I came across this info many years ago over on RMS - FYI.

Regards,
--Frank
Q376
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 08:06 AM UTC
Lookin good Scott, those placards are really worth the change & time putting them in. I've only used them in 1/24 scale but they are now on my 'get' list for any P-51 from now on.
Might want to dirty up that floor some, the anti-skid coating was black.

Craig.Q
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:17 PM UTC
Whoa, you made the seat out of a sodacan? Nice work, really cant tell at all that its not a manufactured part.
 _GOTOTOP