_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Classic! Matchbox's F-101F (OOB)
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2019 - 10:49 AM UTC
During the early days of the jet age, there were some false starts and some real gems. Sometimes, those that didn’t get a chance to shine, like the McDonnell XF-88 Voodoo, got to take a second run at it. In the case of the “second” Voodoo, the F-101, it seemed that the stars had aligned and everything would be good to go. In fact, the Voodoo was only somewhat successful at a couple of its intended roles, really only finding a place as a recce bird.

That design, however, created another, still different Voodoo; the F-101B was the interceptor model with two seats, more powerful engines/afterburners and even the Genie nuclear rocket! I personally like this form a lot better, as I can remember seeing Canadian Voodoos at airshows when I was a kid. They were loud and fast, and with all that fire out the back, it was a guaranteed hearing-loss-induced-fun kind of day on the airfield!

Those who know me know I love Matchbox kits, so when I came across the Matchbox F-101F (two-holer trainer) that could also be built as a Canadian CF-101, I was ecstatic! Check out this questionably detailed, but undeniably epic kit below!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/matchbox-1-72-mcdonnel-douglas-f-101f-rf-101b-cf-101b-voodoo-out-of-box/

_GOTOTOP