_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
D-Day Aircrafts?
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:34 PM UTC
I can't dig up on these... what planes did they use on D-Day landing on the five beaches?
Longshanks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:04 PM UTC
Do you mean in the para drops or just the planes that flew air support?

B-17's bombed Omaha beach defences prior to the landings, missed of course...
Dakota's dropped the paratroopers on the the night of June 5th....
RAF Typoons took out armour/trains...........

there are other aircraft but what they did exactly I don't know, anyway here's the list......

Mustangs
Spitfires
Hurricanes
Typoons
B-17's
Dakota's

I'm sure theres more but these are just off the top of my head.........You'll have to do a little research.................Sorry I can't help you more..........Hope this helps..........
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:11 PM UTC
Actually I was reffering to the air support which provide cover fire for the beach landing and not the paratrooper planes. Thanks for the lists! Now I'm going off to research on these planes.
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 - 11:55 PM UTC
I stand to be corrected on this, but I believe that the beaches were covered by the ship bombardment - not aircraft. Who would want to fly around amongst the massive incoming barrages??

I have the impression that aircraft were used in the interdiction role further inland.

Brian
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 12:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I stand to be corrected on this, but I believe that the beaches were covered by the ship bombardment - not aircraft. Who would want to fly around amongst the massive incoming barrages??

I have the impression that aircraft were used in the interdiction role further inland.

Brian

You may be right. As far as I've played many WWII games, I didn't see any aircraft support. But how the hell did the Dakotas pushed forward the beaches when there's lots of anti-air?
Longshanks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 04:37 AM UTC
Ok.........

B-17's bombed the Omaha beach defences BEFORE the landings...............Omaha only....

The fighters, such as the Spitfire and the Mustang kept the German aircraft busy, (What was left of them) stoping them from destroying the barges, vehicles as they came ashore........

Typoons destroyed much of the rail network and any German vehicles they could find.....

The Dakotas flew through the German AA defences on the night of the 5th........

Quoted Text

- Bilko........

The planes themselves did not actually fly OVER the beaches but as you said flew more inland.............
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 06:22 AM UTC
I think the germans threw up some 109's although it could of been some 190's.

Chip
 _GOTOTOP