_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Questions on how to make a spinning prop
Wolf-Leader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 - 10:02 AM UTC
I'm making a seascape using a couple of helicopters in 1/700th. So I would like to know would you just cut a clear circle to simulate the rotar spinning? I don't know in this scale. So with this in mind,I need your help with any advice you can give.
Also,if you know of anyone who has a tutorial on this subject in 1/700 scale that would be a great help as well.
Thank you.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm making a seascape using a couple of helicopters in 1/700th. So I would like to know would you just cut a clear circle to simulate the rotar spinning? I don't know in this scale. So with this in mind,I need your help with any advice you can give.
Also,if you know of anyone who has a tutorial on this subject in 1/700 scale that would be a great help as well.
Thank you.

I've done a fairly believable 1/350th model of the USS Essex with lots of TBF, F6F and SBD props spinning, including a TBF launching off the catapult. I just punched out a bunch of disks from thin clear plastic (I like to use the plastic found in bakery goods containers, as its thin and cheap, and it's a good excuse to buy cookies too!). I just make a strategically placed "smear" of yellow enamel paint in three equidistant spots on the edge of the material to simulate the prop tips. These spots tend to reflect around the disk, making the "spinning prop" look very realistic. They look pretty good in 1/350th, I'd think they'd look just as good in 1/700-- maybe better. I have a set of leather punches that I use for 1/350th, but I suspect a helicopter "disc" will be larger, so you may need to use a larger circle cutter. You could use scissors if you were careful, after tracing in the diameter of your blade pattern. You can run a peice of 400 grit sandpaper or a sanding stick around the edge of the disc to eliminate imperfections.
VR, Russ
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
AeroScale: 318 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 - 11:51 AM UTC
Jody,

I did a 1/700 PBY a while back this way. Instead of fixing the out of scale kit propellers, I decided to sidestep the problem and depict them as spinning. Using my trusty Waldron Model Products Precision Punch & Die set (punch #6), I made a couple of .160 inch clear plastic discs to represent the Cat’s propeller arcs.
 photo Skywave PBY propeller_zpsfa0aubys.jpg
The propeller hubs were .023 inch discs cut from .010 inch thick sheet plastic.

photo Skywave PBY propellers_zpshp12p88u.jpg
A helo's props would be larger, but the same idea should work.
 _GOTOTOP