_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Kitty Hawk KH50002 AH-6M / MH-6M help!
knewton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 - 06:04 PM UTC
Is anyone else working on this kit, please? I’ve made all the subassemblies that I can, and noted a number of basic errors with the kit and instructions. The latest being Step 16, parts A13, A14, and GP9, but you need GP9 in the next step. The correct part is A58. On my example, the part is deformed almost to the point of uselessness.

I’m thinking of contacting Kitty Hawk directly with my concerns, does anyone know whether they take negative feedback well? Will Kitty Hawk make any changes? Is there any demand for a tweaks list as I’m almost finished here?

I will say that it is an otherwise great kit which I’d like to make another of.
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 - 11:15 PM UTC
Hi Kylie.

I contacted 'Sophia' who deals with parts issues/requests at KH a couple of months ago when I had some faulty parts in their 1/48 Mirage F1 and YAK 130 kits that I bought and she was brilliant. I got replacements fast and trouble free.

She was a great customer service representative that many others in this hobby could learn from.

This was the email I used for her - [email protected]

HTH

Gary
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 12:06 AM UTC
Yup, their instructions do seem to have a few issues. A tweaks list is always welcomed, esp. since I haven't started mine yet.
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 12:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I’m thinking of contacting Kitty Hawk directly with my concerns, does anyone know whether they take negative feedback well?

Like most it is probably on how the feedback is given.

I was building your kit and observed the following vs this is where your instructions suck. One email gets deleted, they other might lead to some change.

I would like a tweak list. I do plan to backdate my kit to the J version (I think that is the correct version IIRC) where a few where painted gray for about a month.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 02:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do plan to backdate my kit to the J version (I think that is the correct version IIRC) where a few where painted gray for about a month.

I believe you are talking about the 2-tone gray scheme that was tested by 160th SOAR. It was tested on an MH-6M though.

It is depicted in the KH kit as a decal option and on Werner's Wings Night Stalker Part 2 decal sheet (with color codes for the paint scheme).

Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 03:31 AM UTC
That would make things easier but I originally thinking of these birds.

Which makes them H's not J's. Have the Dragon skids to backdate. Guess I could do both.
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 10:13 AM UTC
I didn’t remember the kit decals and that seemed strange to me. I have 003 not 002. Looks like I might have to get another kit.
knewton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 04:41 PM UTC
Ok lads, I’ll put that together this weekend. And Tank1812, if you want the ghost grey decals from kit 002, let me know, you can have mine. PM me if you do.
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2019 - 11:26 PM UTC
Kylie thanks for the offer. I will think about it. The older version from 89 has no markings that I am aware of. It appears I might have the plastic for a M in a J kit but that makes me concern about the other small changes between the version and kits. Not having both kits I am not sure.
knewton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2019 - 07:37 AM UTC
If you decide to go with the offer, I’ll include the kit’s instructions, too. I do believe the parts for the ‘M’ are included in your kit. The most important being the sixth rotor blade.
 _GOTOTOP