_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Kitty Hawk KH50002 AH-6M / MH-6M Tweak list
knewton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2019 - 05:04 PM UTC
Step 1, no real issues here, except for fit and flash. And those two will be a constant theme throughout the build.

Step 2, here you need to swap B70 and B71, and B72 runs though a hole in C51.

Step 3, I’m still working on as I want to fit a pilot in the left seat; but there is nothing untoward here. There is a control box on the end of the left hand cyclic missing. Add one to both cyclic controls.

Step 4, there is only one A34, use A33, the other seat...

Step 5, some flash to clean up. Take this as a given on the smaller parts.

Step 6, I’m making mine as a ‘mike’, and skipped this step.

Step 7, DO NOT glue both bench seats to A14. As has been pointed out elsewhere on the interweb, you will not be able to get the fuselage halves over these if you do.

Step 8, that fuel cell... needs to be replaced with either a resin part, or a 3D printed part. I removed the bracing from the outside of C48 with a chisel blade as, checking references, there is none on the real thing. Further, remove the forward corner on the starboard side of C48. Don’t install C1, either. The left side needs to be squared off, with the forward corner removed. And, handles on the sides. Don’t forget the handles, or how are you going to lift it!

Check references, and I’ll try post images, too. The whole fuel cell is strapped to the rear bulkhead, and, I believe, this could have easily been a part of the kit in photo etch.

Step 9, I removed the cut-outs using a scribing motion from the inside of A26 and A31.

Step 10, I didn’t do this step.

Step 11, DO NOT “make hole” where it calls for two on the engine cowl, one above the other, you only need the uppermost one. Otherwise you’ll need to fill in the lower one later. Ask me how I know... also, C52 and C53; I’m still not certain whether I have these around the correct way, but they fit in place, so I left them where they are.

You will need to open a hole for PE8 & 9. In case you didn’t pick that up.

Step 12, I replaced the loops of PE 7 with wire, for a more realistic look. Your choice.

Step 13, skipped.

Step 14, I only did the skids here. It required some filler at the join of the end part to the main body of the skid. Nothing too onerous.

Step 15, I didn’t use A45 and A48 as this is not present on the real thin. Also, I added an “ironing board” to B28, as this is present in references. A flat, ironing board shaped piece on the top of B28.

Step 16, adding the various aerials across the top of the fuselage. In front of B27 is a short rod aerial; there is a mark for it,and I cut a rod a couple of millimeters long from A24, glued that in place and it’s done.

Do not use GP9 between A12 and A13, it will not fit. And you need GP9 for B46 in the step below. Instead, use part A59. This could do with some scribing to represent the FLIR ball better. Or a decal.

Step 17, A42 has a shaft, ‘D’ in profile, that goes in A40, do this before adding parts A4, A51, and A53. You will need to either whittle down the shaft, or enlarge the hole for it, or both, before it will fit. Also, pay attention to the direction of the blades. It is possible to put them together backwards. Make sure the leading edge faces the same way on both.

Be aware that the tail rotors are cantered off vertical, too. Only a few degrees, but it is not square to the tail.

Step 18, do this slowly, the parts need to sit flush on B78 as the ‘arms’ of various parts reach up to join B18, which is the hub for the rotors. It took me a bit of jiggerypokery to get this correct.

Step 19, 20, etc, all too easy.

Other things to add: the ‘D’ handles in the door of the cockpit, the formation lights on the sides of the fuselage, and wiring, wiring, wiring.

The MFD are hinged to the centre console at a slight angle. The cables to the MFD disappear behind a quilted shroud, which I cannot find a clear image of. And finally, for those with the inclination, on the starboard engine cowl, there is a raised square which is not present on the real deal. I removed this with the chisel blade, and scribed a smaller square slightly above it.

And there you have it, a great kit and fair representation of an MH 6M Little Bird.
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2019 - 09:49 PM UTC
Thanks.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 04:41 AM UTC
Good deal, thanks.
knewton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2019 - 09:02 PM UTC
Further to last, and important for those building this as an AH, include the mounting brackets for the fast rope. NOT the frame, just the mounts on the fuselage. And, chuck in a small first aid kit port side, aft bulkhead, above the fuel cell. Also, on the port skid, the is a protrusion missing that is on the starboard one. You will need to add this yourself. Nothing difficult.

I have also added a window on the starboard side of the fuselage, just below the small grill. I’m guessing the window is to check oil? Drilled it out, about 0.6mm, and used a scale bottle neck to fill it.
knewton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2019 - 05:58 PM UTC
And I’ve been using Rob Skipper’s Littlebird references to detail my build, which has been very helpful. Great exterior and interior shoots. Cheers, Rob! I’ll add it to the others I have.
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 - 10:05 PM UTC
Do you have a link for those? I think I might have some he gave me awhile back but not sure of the type off hand.
knewton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hello Tank1812,

No, they were a file share from Rob, which is a very easy way of moving large files.

Kylie
knewton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2019 - 05:50 PM UTC
Ok kids, listen up, this one is important... step 3, part A39 sitting on C41 and C42 needs to be angled down towards the seats, not square to the floor as in the kit. I took off a couple of mils at the seat end and angled it up to the corner, and I don’t think I undercut it, either. Of course, this is optional. But it looks a lot better than a flat surface uncorrected.
 _GOTOTOP