_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
How Can I Replace Raised Rivet Detail?
Charleygnarlyp290
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 04:32 PM UTC
I am currently working on a 1/48 Monogram A-10 Thunderbolt II. Being an older kit, it needs a bit of seam cleanup and in doing so I will be losing some detail, specifically raised rivet detail.
What I some techniques I can use? Has anyone used the Archer rivet detail? It looks like a viable option, especially some of the round patterns, but I am not sure the actual rivets will be fine/small enough.
Snipalex
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 53 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am currently working on a 1/48 Monogram A-10 Thunderbolt II. Being an older kit, it needs a bit of seam cleanup and in doing so I will be losing some detail, specifically raised rivet detail.
What I some techniques I can use? Has anyone used the Archer rivet detail? It looks like a viable option, especially some of the round patterns, but I am not sure the actual rivets will be fine/small enough.

Hi Brett.Can try medium/high viscosity cyanoacrilate glue.Just use a needle or glue applicator or micro kristal clear(easy to adjust size ).Few training hours and you will be king.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2019 - 06:04 AM UTC
Go with the Archer rivets—I use them all the time, they work well under a coat of primer and paint. Or, you can go really “old school”, and drill a line of holes and insert stretched sprue (but that’s the hard way). When you buy the Archer Rivets, aim for the smallest available diameter. Also, they need to be applied in fine strips over a glossy surface, but don’t try and do long strips all at once, it’s much better to apply them in sections of 10-15 rivets max.
VR, Russ
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2019 - 10:02 PM UTC
A number of things you can try depending on that is happing at the seam. You can use painters/dymo tape to attempt to preserve some detail. There a number micro detail products you can use in place of generic items. For example instead of using a emory board for sanding, there are sanding files or sticks for more precise work.

I do second Archer products. For sizes you can print out the catalog which should be 1:1 scale of the product size.

http://archertransfers.com/ASSETS/ARCHER%20SD%20Catalog.pdf

They even have some how to videos
http://www.archertransfers.com/PAGE_Instructions.html

HTH
 _GOTOTOP