_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Chinook - US versus British version ...
pbennett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 08:03 AM UTC
I have a 1/72-scale kit of the US Army CH-47D, and wonder what external modifications would be required to convert this to a British version of the Chinook.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 - 08:18 AM UTC
Paul, which version of the UK Chinook are you wanting to depict and any time frame?

RAF have/do operate HC1, HC2 / 2A, HC4 and latest mod is the HC6 / 6A. From memory the HC1 was neither a C nor a D it was somewhere in between, the HC2 was a D with British equipment and the 2A was a 1 brought up to 2 standard. the 4 was the new F version for the special forces which didn't work (big story) and all are now either already or are being brought up to 6 / 6A standard.
Most HC1s are still flying although having gone through mods up to current standard HC6A

The famous Bravo November of Falklands fame was a HC1 and is still flying although I believe now modified to a HC6A standard.

No expert just someone who's been reading up as I've just picked up a 1/35 D which I want to build as an RAF HC2
pbennett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 - 07:20 AM UTC
Luciano,

That's a coincidence ... the kit I have is a 1/72-scale CH-47D, and I was planning to depict as a British HC2. Not being an aircraft authority, I'm not sure what external modifications would be required.

Thanks,

Paul
 _GOTOTOP