_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
REVELL RF-4 1/32
Lagumiles
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 07:33 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
I have a question for you.
Is there any way to convert the 1/32 Revell RF-4 into a F-4J wild weasel?
After market sets, suggestions, drawnings everything is welcome.
Thank you in advance
Moreno
Guarnere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 15 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:53 PM UTC
Hi Lagumiles,
As far as i know, the two planes are very very different.
The RF-4 doesn't have a cannon (while the wild weasel does) and its also a reconnaissance plane which means it has a camera in it's nose and little windows on the sides.

To conclude, to my opinion it would be very hard to accomplish this convertion.

Shai
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 12:08 AM UTC
It can be done, but extreme surgery has to be made.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 02:27 AM UTC
Do you mean turn a RF-4 into a F-4 G? The G model is the Wild Weasel variant. Your conversion actually depends on what variant the RF-4 is. Is a RF-4C/D or is its a RF-4 E. If it is an E than it will be easier because both the E and the G have the longer nose and wing slats.

Oh and Guarnere, the Wild Weasel does not have a cannon. The G model is the sam suppression aircraft with all the electronic countermeasures in the nose, along the spine, on the tail, and in a pod.
Lagumiles
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you mean turn a RF-4 into a F-4 G? The G model is the Wild Weasel variant. Your conversion actually depends on what variant the RF-4 is. Is a RF-4C/D or is its a RF-4 E. If it is an E than it will be easier because both the E and the G have the longer nose and wing slats.

Oh and Guarnere, the Wild Weasel does not have a cannon. The G model is the sam suppression aircraft with all the electronic countermeasures in the nose, along the spine, on the tail, and in a pod.

The Revell kit is an RF-4C I would like to convert it into a model deployed in the Vietnam war so I think it should be a E or G variant.
Thanks for help
Moreno
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 06:12 AM UTC
No no if you want to do a Vietnam bird its fine as it is amigo. RF-4E's have never served with the USAF so the kit you have is perfectly A OK. You can even do a pre- Desert Storm aircraft because the RF-4C's served until the very late 1980's to around 1990.
Lagumiles
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No no if you want to do a Vietnam bird its fine as it is amigo. RF-4E's have never served with the USAF so the kit you have is perfectly A OK. You can even do a pre- Desert Storm aircraft because the RF-4C's served until the very late 1980's to around 1990.

Sorry maybe I was not clear I would like to convert it into a fighter not a recon bird
ciao Moreno
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:11 AM UTC
Thats just it though, if its a C then I would leave it as a C but not a recon bird. The Air Force used F-4C's, D's, and E's in Vietnam. The G's did not come out until around 1977-78 I believe. It would be harder to make your model a E than a C because the E has a eloganted nose compared to the C and it also has wing slats and some other items on it. Just a thought.
Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:59 AM UTC
It's an RF-4C? Good luck converting it into any of the fighter variants from Vietnam. The RF-4C has a longer nose than either the standard -C or -D. The -E or -G would probably be closest in shape, but would still require serious work to correct the shape of the nose, and you'd still be missing the slatted wings of those aircraft.
Lagumiles
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 10:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry the variant I have is the Revell RF-4E that I would like to convert in a Vietnam era fighter
Thanks Moreno
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 05:48 AM UTC
Since it is an RF-4E, Im not really sure what all you have to do to backdate it for a F-4E Vietnam era fighter. The reason why I say that is because the RF-4E was a export aircraft, Germany and Japan being the two largest buyers of the aircraft. So I dont know if they have different engines, avionics, etc.
 _GOTOTOP