_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Zvezda's Mig-29 SMT - Fat Fulcrum (OOB)
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 - 09:19 AM UTC
An old adage is “If it looks right, it flies right”. This implies that a well-designed, well-flying plane is one that is aerodynamically sound, and that this translates, on some subconscious level, to a perception of beauty. Of course, there are exceptions to this, but by and large it is pretty true. (I think the A-10 is hot, so don’t bring that as a counterexample!)

Of course, beautiful planes are one thing, but just like how I like loser cars, I have a thing for making pretty airplanes ugly. I absolutely love it when a plane gets all kinds of lumps and bulges, be it for EW purposes, or some other reason. One thing above all that I love is a big spine! Taking an otherwise lithe and athletic aircraft and putting a MASSIVE SPINE on it just works. OA-4Ms, Thunderstick II Thuds, Sufas… you name it, if it has a big spine or a hunchback, I’m on it like… well, a fat spine on a lithe plane!

Thus, I was pretty pumped to get my hands on the Zveszda Mig-29SMT. Nothing takes the “Russian-chic” of the Fulcrum and junks it up like a massive hunchback of a fuel tank! Add a centreline tank to add a belly, and the poor SMT’s just got “fat and slow” written all over it! Check out Zvezda’s take on this last of the original Fulcrum family at the link below. You can’t like to yourself any more; you know you want it!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/zvezda-1-72-mig-29-smt-oob/

stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2019 - 07:54 PM UTC
A nice looking project, I'm looking forward to your build.
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 693 posts
AeroScale: 551 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2019 - 08:55 PM UTC
Hi Adam,

I second that. There's a 1/48 scale SMT in my stash that's been calling to me for a while.

Good luck with the build, I hope its fun. I'll drop in from time to time to see how you're getting on.

Bye for now,

Steve.
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2019 - 11:31 PM UTC
Ah, I didn't know there was a 1/48 SMT, although I'm not surprised.

This one has me a bit worried; the intakes look very complicated and the cockpit is broken up in a weird way. I've got this suspicion it's not going down without a fight...
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2019 - 06:05 AM UTC
Looks really interesting and great review.
Really nice to see a kit manufacturer give us a huge selection of weapons. Likewise, I'm also disappointed when we get either nothing or just a basic load. I do like to build a jet armed to the teeth!
I might just buy one of these.

Looking forward to seeing how it builds.
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2019 - 11:52 PM UTC
I agree. I hate an unarmed kit. I think the HobbyBoss 1/72 N/AW A-10B is weaponless, if I remember right. Now THAT'S a disappointment, if it's the case. I should check.

I bought a bunch of Dragon Russian weapons kits to outfit my Hasegawa Migs, too. Cheesed me right off.

I also generally like every pylon filled, and generally NOT with fuel tanks, if I can help it. Phantoms are an exception, though. Gotta have those sexy wing tanks... looks wrong otherwise!
 _GOTOTOP