_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
News
Airfix: Fillet Less Mustangs
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 02:53 AM UTC

Airfix is to release a quarter scale early P-51D Mustang that does not have the tail fillet

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
AeroScale: 254 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Airfix is to release a quarter scale early P-51D Mustang that does not have the tail fillet

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Thank You, Tim!

Very nice illustrations and CAD images of the upcoming 1/48 AIRFIX P-51D-5 "Fillet-less" Mustang! It will be interesting to compare the AIRFIX rendering with the upcoming EDUARD example of same. Already, I've noted that the AIRFIX D-5 will have SEPARATE Vertical Stabilizer halves, whereas the EDUARD D-5 will have the Vertical Stabilizer INTEGRAL to the Fuselage, which IMO, will be an easier step for the modeler. However, the AIRFIX 1/48 P-51-series kits DO, after all is said and done, cost about half as much as the EDUARD P-51 kits.

I fully intend to buy one of these AIRFIX D-5 "Fillet-less" Mustangs, as I will do with the up-coming EDUARD D-5 "Fillet-less" kit. Is it "over-kill" on my part? I think not; so many beautiful color schemes to do for all of these new Mustangs!

Don't even ask me how many 1/48 TAMIYA P-47s I have!

If I can locate a 1/48 LONE STAR MODELS P-47C "Flat Keel" Conversion set, I plan on building Robert S. Johnson's "ALL HELL" with one of my TAMIYA "Razorback" P-47Ds. I'll have to do some careful cutting for that one!

EDUARD's P-51D-10 "Royal Class" Mustang kits are supposedly due in December; what a beautiful Christmas gift to myself THAT will be!
 _GOTOTOP