_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/32 bf109e
Blackstoat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 568 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi

I've been lurking around this forum for a while without saying hello - just taking it all in really. HELLO!

My usual models are WnW WWI. But I fancy a bit of a change. I'm looking at a 1/32 109e.

My question is, what is the best detailed kit out of the box. I'm not too bothered about minor inaccuracies, but I'd like an engine, seat belts etc... you get the idea.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks

joepanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 - 12:49 PM UTC
I'm no expert, but I would go with Eduard and/or Hasegawa
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 - 01:21 PM UTC
The Eduard kit is the better shape; the Hasegawa is nice and easy to build, but it's more than 40 years old and some of the shapes are a bit questionable. Either one will give you an enjoyable build.
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 - 01:24 PM UTC
For what it is worth. I don't know how many of these kits are still available and I have never built one. Here is a comparison review of several kits.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=747

GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 - 02:52 PM UTC
The Dragon kit is far and away the best. The Eduard kit has a huge hump behind the canopy. The Hasegawa kit has numerous shape flaws.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 - 03:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For what it is worth. I don't know how many of these kits are still available and I have never built one. Here is a comparison review of several kits.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=747

I agree 100% with Russ Amott above, LSP has provided a great comparison, however, I’ll add that I’ve built three of the offerings, the Hasegawa, Eduard and Cyberhobby (Dragon/DML). I’ve seen the Trumpeter kit in the box, it’s nice, but it’s not as nice as the Eduard Cyberhobby /DML offering. But by far the best kit of the Emil is the Cyberhobby kit (by DML-Dragon) If you can find one. The Hasegawa kit is rather “long in the tooth” being released nearly 40 years ago. The Eduard kit is nice, with excellent surface detail, but has some dimensional issues, along with the fact you can’t display it with the engine installed and the cowling on, and when you do you can see there’s nothing in the nose. It has decals for very early Emils only. The Cyberhobby kit lacks some of the rivet patterns the Eduard kit has on the wings (some rivet patterns are missing whereas the Eduard kit has nice rivets throughout). However the Cyberhobby kit can be built with the engine installed and the cowling closed (with some “finagling”), is more accurate in dimension, comes with a slew of great decals for about 10 different Emil’s during the BoB, and is a more complete kit. Both Eduard and Cyberhobby kits come with PE. The Cyberhobby also has “DS plastic“ wheel bay liners (the real thing was canvas). Done right, the Cyberhobby kit has the best landing gear detail of the three. In my opinion, it’s the best of the top three on the market today. but it also has more parts, and the beautiful engine still needs some “finagling” to get into the closed cowling (if you want the engine in it). Of all the kits, It’s also harder to find and a bit pricier. If you are a WnW fan (as I am), you’ll appreciate the Cyberhobby kit far more than the others, as it’s closer to a WnW standard, with Eduard being a close second. I’d skip the others unless you just want a simple quick build.
VR, Russ
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 09:56 AM UTC
Hi Andy

I've held back from replying, because I did have a hand in the development of the Cyber-Hobby Bf 109E, but now it's received the thumbs up from others, I feel a bit less shy in recommending it.

I was in great company with Luftwaffe experts Jerry Crandall and Mark Proulx of Eagle Editions fame - and Dragon/CyberModel had been stung by their P-51D Mustang experience, so they really paid attention to the input we all offered this time. My contribution with the basic kit was to catch and prevent a few real accuracy "howlers" that almost made it into the final release, along with trying to make sure it was "modeller friendly" and ensure some classic modellers' Bf 109 wants were included.

It's really gratifying to see the kit scored so well in a head-to-head against its rivals on other modelling sites - I know we all lobbied hard in our own ways as contributors - and I don't think it's been bettered to date (it's shocking to look back at my first look at the finished kit and realise it's already nearly 9 years ago!)

It seems like only yesterday - and some things still rankle! A few aspects still weren't the way I'd have liked if I could have had a greater hand in the design (the lower sidewalls in the cockpit are a "fudge" at best - a classic example of a manufacturer responding to input when the basic design was "set in stone" (but full credit to Dragon that they actually did at all!)) - and I still hate the metal hinges for the control surfaces! LOL!

But, basically, the Dragon/Cyber-Model Bf 109E is a really nice kit - and I do think it's the best option in 1:32. (I'll hasten to add that I don't benefit in any way from sales of the kit.)

My one overriding regret is that my advice to also scale it down to 1:48 fell on deaf ears. I'm sure Dragon/Cyber-Model could have had a huge success through all these years with a quarterscale version...

I've got to admit, mere mention of this kit makes me want to dig one out of my infamous Stash and do a build for old-times' sake!

All the best

Rowan
brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
AeroScale: 158 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 12:11 PM UTC
My only caveat regarding the Dragon kit is the DS wheel well inserts are prone to drying out and crumbling. I don't know how long extras will be available from Dragon if you need them considering how long the kit has been out.

I am in the middle of one now, and I am stalled due to one of my set being broken AND warped, so gluing the bits together won't even help. It otherwise is a great kit although take care assembling the cowling if you choose not to display the engine as the machine guns make it a tight fit.
Removed by original poster on 01/24/20 - 00:39:18 (GMT).
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My only caveat regarding the Dragon kit is the DS wheel well inserts are prone to drying out and crumbling. I don't know how long extras will be available from Dragon if you need them considering how long the kit has been out.

I am in the middle of one now, and I am stalled due to one of my set being broken AND warped, so gluing the bits together won't even help. It otherwise is a great kit although take care assembling the cowling if you choose not to display the engine as the machine guns make it a tight fit.

I’ll second the comment on the DS inserts— although mine have been fine for 8 years now, without a problem. Many Armor modelers agree the “Dragon Styrene” tracks and accessories deteriorate over time, making them some of the most hated items in any model kit in the last 50 years it seems. My experience has generally been DS stuff is bad, some of it, sometimes. This kit, and the DS Soyuz capsule in their Apollo-Soyuz kit, and a set a DS tracks in their Japanese Ka-Mi kit are the only items I’ve seen that were any good, And haven’t deteriorated on me (yet), so I think it depends entirely on the “batch” of DS they were using at the time. On the other hand, I’ve got two Dragon kits that I’ve had to toss the DS tracks.
VR, Russ
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 10:58 PM UTC
Hi again

I also wonder if it's a question of "bad batches" of the DS stuff, because I've just checked a Bf 109E-4/B that's sat untouched for 5 years or so - and the inserts are still fine.

Or, perhaps it's down to how it's been stored? Exposure to daylight, or temperature, maybe?

Also, I forgot to mention above - the trim tabs on the elevators are in the wrong place and need moving inboard by one set of ribs That's simple to fix.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP