_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
The Last B-25
18Bravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 - 01:41 AM UTC
Tanker, that is.
I recognize a few names here. If you recognize mine it's from Armorama.
A while back I became interested in 1/48 scale again to recreate a D Day scene and a Berlin Airlift scene as a way to use up my many C-47 kits. I purchased a Tamiya Airfield Refueler, but it had the steel cab. Photos showed the later cab used on a refueler right before D Day, so I bought their 2 1/2 Ton Truck and swapped cabs. Now I had a GMC Deuce cargo bed with a hard cab. Too easy. Not even worth calling a conversion. So THEN I decided to do a short wheel based Chevy 4X4. No kit available. Now there's a bit of a challenge. Then I found a photo of that truck with an angle iron superstructure on the back to support an aircraft turret. It's used for turret gunner training. Next step: Buy a Monogram B-24 for the dorsal turret. Used kit - turret not usable. Now I have a B-24 with no turret. Now what? Build a C-87 from it. Still no turret for the trainer. Buy a Monogram B-25 and use its turret. Now I have a B-25 with no turret. What to do? Look around on the net, and find a cool photo of a B-25 fire tanker.

So here she is - Tanker #338:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
SF-07-18D
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Madrid, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 366 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 - 09:30 AM UTC
Nice scheme. I really love the Mitchell. I will make one someday....
Chunks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - 10:10 AM UTC
Great choice!

Lone Star Models has done several conversions for airtankers, not sure if this is one.
 _GOTOTOP