_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
1/48 A-4B Skyhawk... Need Recommendations
Charleygnarlyp290
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 05:16 AM UTC
Howdy, folks.

I'd like some suggestions for a good A-4B Skyhawk in 1/48. I want to do an early, Viet Nam era Marine aircraft. I figure I can get decals in the aftermarket for what I want, so that is not too big of a concern.

I want something that goes together well, and is reasonably accurate. I really don't want to have to do a ton of seam filling and such, either. I'm not too overly concerned with raised or recessed detail, and if the kit kit can be detailed a bit better with readily accessable aftermarket parts, I'm game for that as well.

Fire away, people!
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 05:23 AM UTC
Not looking good. Hasewaga makes a B kit and so did Hobbycraft. Last I recall those are both hard or expensive to find. KMC and Steel Beach made a E to B/C conversion set, both have closed up shop, however Sprue Brothers does have the SB conversion in stock. Hopefully you can use that information to find needed kit/parts.
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 - 06:14 AM UTC
As Ryan said, (IF) you can find one, the Hasegawa kit is head and shoulders over the Hobbycraft kit; that said, the latter isn't too bad but the Hasegawa kit has a much higher degree of refinement. I also built their 1/48 'C' version and it was almost a perfect fit with hardly any filler needed and exquisite details and panels etc. I see no reason why the 'B' version shouldn't be the same.

Good luck in finding one and if you do, you won't be disappointed I'm sure.

Gary
 _GOTOTOP