_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Wing Nut Wings closing their doors?
oyoy23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 05:32 AM UTC
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235070898-wingnut-wings-closing-down/
brekinapez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
AeroScale: 158 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 06:39 AM UTC
I can find no official confirmation of this anywhere. Their web site mentions the shops are shut down for Covid-19 purposes and they are working from home; you can still place orders. They don't seem to have a Facebook page, so until they update their page or post an announcement through another venue I would wait and see. Someone posting that an employee from WNW responded to a request for information is not evidence for me; it is hearsay.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 07:07 AM UTC
I don’t believe it either, at least I hope it’s not so. But, I think many hobby manufacturers are going to have a hard time of it in the coming months, as the world economy takes a downturn (for obvious reasons). And it’s simple: No Jobs=No disposable income. But here’s the WNW announcement on their own website, which states this is “temporary” because of the restrictions NZ has imposed for social distancing. Here’s the official announcement— nothing about permanently closing:

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/news

I imagine manufacturers who operate on “the margin” will be the ones who are the hardest hit, not just in the hobby world, but in other areas as well. Not sure WNW is one of those manufacturers, but it seems to me they are certainly in more of a “niche” market than say ICM, Italeri, or Special Hobby. They do have Jackson’s backing, but is that enough to keep operating in a worldwide recession that will likely follow this pandemic for a while? I hope they do keep producing, even if it’s on a limited basis. After all, they were just about to release a triplane, and let’s not forget that exceptional Lancaster— but will the market still support such endeavors? We’ll have to wait and see.

VR, Russ
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And it’s simple: No Jobs=No disposable income.

They do have Jackson’s backing, but is that enough to keep operating in a worldwide recession that will likely follow this pandemic for a while

VR, Russ

I've often wondered if WNW was or started as a vanity project of Jackson's because he's rich and loves the subject matter, so losses weren't/aren't that much of a factor. But of course, there are limits.

Also, the film industry itself will go through some painful changes, because who can or even wants to go to a crowded cinema during a pandemic? Here in the USA, there is even talk that AMC, by far the largest movie theater chain in the States, is on the cusp of bankruptcy. That would have huge implications for the film industry's whole economic model.

I don't think WNW is going to shut its doors permanently based on this announcement. But all bets are off for the whole model industry if the world falls into a global recession or "depression."

I'm no economist, but here the unemployment rate is about 14% and it hasn't been that high since the Great Depression in the 1930s.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2020 - 02:05 PM UTC
Time is the issue. The longer we take to control the virus, the worse things will get economically. It took 18 months from onset to flattening for the great Pandemic of 1918. Things didn’t go back to “normal” until late 1919, when theaters, restaurants and bars began to reopen, and people picked up their lives again— except for the 60-100,000,000 who died worldwide (herd mentality?— that’s where we get it from, it culled the herd til the virus died out, but this virus is more sinister, you don’t even know if you have it). Hopefully, if we do as the medicos today are telling us, we can flatten this thing in a few months. But it won’t be normal again for a long while, until testing is universal, a vaccine that works is found, and a treatment regimen is developed. In the meantime, the harsh reality is that hobbies will take second place, or maybe third or fourth place in people’s lives. So, rather than rushing out now to buy kits to keep some company or another afloat, stay inside for a month,social distance, don’t go out except for necessities, and build what you have on hand, and perhaps we can return things back to a new “normal”in a few months.
VR, Russ
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 - 04:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Time is the issue. The longer we take to control the virus, the worse things will get economically. It took 18 months from onset to flattening for the great Pandemic of 1918. Things didn’t go back to “normal” until late 1919, when theaters, restaurants and bars began to reopen, and people picked up their lives again— except for the 60-100,000,000 who died worldwide (herd mentality?— that’s where we get it from, it culled the herd til the virus died out, but this virus is more sinister, you don’t even know if you have it). Hopefully, if we do as the medicos today are telling us, we can flatten this thing in a few months. But it won’t be normal again for a long while, until testing is universal, a vaccine that works is found, and a treatment regimen is developed. In the meantime, the harsh reality is that hobbies will take second place, or maybe third or fourth place in people’s lives. So, rather than rushing out now to buy kits to keep some company or another afloat, stay inside for a month,social distance, don’t go out except for necessities, and build what you have on hand, and perhaps we can return things back to a new “normal”in a few months.
VR, Russ

I agree with this. There will definitely be a downturn, but I don't think it will kill the hobby. No way.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but one company's demise (suicide?) that always perplexed me was Classic Airframes. Then again, their owner was always a bit "idiosyncratic" IMHO.

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...one company's demise (suicide?) that always perplexed me was Classic Airframes. Then again, their owner was always a bit "idiosyncratic" IMHO.

I don't want to hijack the thread either, but when did C.A. go Away?? What happened? (Man, I gotta crawl out from under the rock more often.)
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 - 05:23 AM UTC
From their website, interpret it as you will:
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 - 05:57 AM UTC
They're just in lock down and isolating like the rest of us perhaps.
International post is very slow at the moment anyway. Last weekend I had a parcel arrive from PlazaJapan that took a month to get to me. And that was ordered BEFORE all this happened. Why add extra pressure on an already overburdened delivery service?

I think things will be bad for a lot of people and companies when we get out of this. Not just model companies either.
Hopefully it will only be for a short time, but I'm no financial expert.
If worst comes to the worst with WNW, I'm glad I bought the kits I was interested in when I could afford them.

In the meantime, stay safe, stay healthy and pull something out of the stash.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 - 06:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From their website, interpret it as you will:

Fred,
Yes I already posted this above, but thanks for pasting it so all could see (my ability to photo-post is really bad). I wonder about the original blogging on the wwiaircraftmodels.com site which is ostensibly based in Australia, not NZ, and founded by Des Delatorre, who is now deceased, but apparently picked up by others (the site is really a wonderful exhibit of Des’ superlative work on WWI models, some entirely scratch built). They may or may not have some contact with Richard Alexander of WNW, but all the “unnamed source” stuff in the blog (links posted above) is not definitive proof. It’s only definitive that WNW, like many plastic manufacturers in the West, are impacted by the current world-wide business situation. And yet even the “wait and see” element is present in the postings— “it looks bad” is definitive of nothing other than “it looks bad”. We all know this pandemic is bad for businesses— all kinds of businesses. Anecdotal evidence of complaints about Peter Jackson’s financing are not definitive proof of anything. I guess we’ll see what happens in the future, on the other end of this thing. If the worst does happen for this wonderful company, I doubt the injection molding process will be harmed by the virus, and perhaps we’ll see these kits under a different label, as we’ve seen with many other manufacturers before. But again, we’ll just have to wait and see, and hope for the best. In the meantime, we should continue to “build on”.
VR, Russ
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 11, 2020 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hi there

This will be tragic if it's true, but I don't want to indulge in speculation on the situation behind the scenes for Wingnut Wings.

What is a fact, though, is that New Zealand has imposed far greater restrictions on their postal service during the Coronavirus outbreak than a lot of countries (certainly than the UK, where on-line trading is encouraged):

https://www.nzpost.co.nz/business/covid19updates/temporary-closures

So, as far as I understand it, companies like WNW simply can't ship anything or receive deliveries at the moment and are basically at a standstill.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP