_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
MJ's 1/144 F-16
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 01:49 PM UTC
Okay guys, sorry. I just got my first digital camera so I could post my Incoming Campaign pics. Well, I thought I might like to practice with it, so here are some pics of my 1/144 F-16. I'm not a very good "wingy-thing" builder, but when I hit a wall, I like to slam together some 1/144 scale planes. For some reason, it gets me back in the mood. So for fun, here's one of them. Sorry you can't see the scratchbuilt cockpit, with 1/144 P.E. control levers, and the paint job I did with a human hair to get the instrument panel done :-) :-) . If nothing else, I hope you get a chuckle out of it.

Mike

I guess this will teach Jim to give Guard members so much gallery space

Mike

shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 12:26 AM UTC
Cool! Very small and simple, yet the coloring looks fantastic enough. One nitty pick, I think it is much less darker. It has more of a blue scheme.
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:37 AM UTC
Mike,

Allow me to congratulate you on an awesome build, the small plane looked real nice, whose kit it is? DML?

Just a couple things, the canopy's shape looked unusual, but might be manufacturer's fault.

and the missles usually are white in color, but I could be wrong.

this is very nice. Great stuff. (++)
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:44 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. You’re right, Red. When I chose the colors to use, that Grey came out much darker than I thought it would. Another example of why you should test your colors before you start to apply them.

Dave, the kit is the Academy F-16, although my friend built the DML one, and I think they are really “re-boxes” of each other, the only difference being the decal scheme. The canopy probably is “off”. The 1/144th kits tend to be pretty darn Spartan in the cockpit area. The missiles are incorrect, but honestly, I just use these kits to get me back in the mood to model, so I tend to be somewhat “quick” with my approach to them. What surprised me when I started doing them, however, is that some do build up into nice little (real “little”) representations of the real thing. They are fun, and that’s the point of it all, I think.

Cheers,
Mike
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:27 PM UTC
Hi Mike,
I just love building those tiny guys..... You really done a great job on this Falcon !!!! There is a company called Sweet Models that does nothing but 1/144 scale aircraft. I can't find the link right off hand, but you should be able to find them on google. Their kits are awesome for 1/144 scale.

(++)
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 09:56 AM UTC
Penny, thank you so much for your comments. As I said, I’m only an occasional plane modeler, so praise from someone whose work has been in FSM is high praise indeed!! You’ve got me all psyched to start some more ”wingy-things”. I will definitely check out Sweet Models. Thank you for the “heads-up” on them, as I’d not heard of them before.

Cheers,
Mike
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 01:46 PM UTC
Mike,
Good-looking vehicle for that small scale. Were you serious about the scratch built cockpit and PE?

Anyway, brings back memories of my year in the Wolf Pack working the old Block 30s...
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 03:23 AM UTC
Hi Wolter. Thank you for the compliment. Unfortunately, I was kidding about the scratch-built stuff. I can’t even do that in 1/48 scale, much less 1/144. That was just a little “shot across the bow” of people who actually are talented enough to do something like that, and on this site, there are a lot of them.

I’m glad you enjoyed the pics. I have found that, with my eyesight, it ‘s getting harder and harder to work in smaller scale. However, working with these 1/144th scale planes makes moving on to 1/72 scale armor incredibly easy. It’s another side benefit of working with them.

Cheers,
Mike
 _GOTOTOP