_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
WIngnut Wings Going Out Of Business
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 03:28 AM UTC
Sad news to report, Wingnut Wings is apparently going out of business. Here’s a post below from WW1 Aircraft Models (Formerly Des Delatorres website) concerning this unfortunate news. There has been no “official” announcement yet from WNW, but one is expected. The WNW ordering process from NZ has been shut down “temporarily due to COVID-19 restrictions” in NZ, but this goes well beyond those restrictions.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11013.0&fbclid=IwAR2O3FP-1g9cZE0TR4yAssKumWb5JSnQ7ezusbjdCog2olT7DYFVeTBg60g

So, now is the time to pick up those items you’ve put off buying, until someone decides what to do with the product line.
VR, Russ
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 05:08 AM UTC
Well the news on WNW website has one big word TEMPORARY!

WNW news page

So I think it's just like most of the fake news that social media is spreading in these times, just like a shortage of toilet roll.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well the news on WNW website has one big word TEMPORARY!

WNW news page

So I think it's just like most of the fake news that social media is spreading in these times, just like a shortage of toilet roll.

The “Temporary” announcement has been up since NZ locked down in March. They are not accepting any orders at this time. I have a friend in NZ who confirms this info, he has a relative that worked for WnW. The fact Richard Alexander is no longer there is a pretty good confirmation too. There’s more to this story as well, since PJ has had some financial issues. So, I don’t think it’s “fake news” at this point. TVAL has also had a publicized fraud case for the theft of $2 Million by one of its directors. PJ’s money issues, fraud, and Covid-19 all add up to serious issues for WnW. None of this looks good for any of PJs holdings. Expect more news to follow.
VR, Russ
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They are not accepting any orders at this time.

They accepted an order from me on Monday. We'll see...
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 07:00 AM UTC
Let's wait and see what happens.

If the worst comes to the worst, I'm glad I have the ones I was interested in.

Currently taking the opportunity to continue work on the Rumpler I started a couple of years ago.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 08:10 AM UTC
Hi there

I won't speculate of the situation at Wingnut Wings. I think all we can do is hope above hope that this doesn't come to pass.

I've got to say the picture being painted by my industry contacts is increasingly bleak. I obviously won't name any names, but a number of companies (large and small) have indicated they are hanging on by their fingernails and seriously considering how long they can continue.

So, all I'd say to everyone is - if you can afford to place some orders, now is the time our industry really needs support. Having been a resin-conversion producer myself in the past, I know just what a difference even relatively few orders can make.

As I've noted before, I fear the modelling scene we find when finally emerge from the pandemic might not include some of the brands we love.

Take care all keep safe everyone

Rowan
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 01:43 PM UTC
Hey Guys,
I'm a NZer. At present we are in lockdown,that means the only businesses operating are Supermarkets,Petrol stations,Pharmacies anything the government considers essential, everything and I mean everything else is closed until at least Wednesday midnight(which will be a month) Personally hobby shops should be considered essential but what do I know. So I wouldn't read too much into the WNW announcement.That being said a lot of businesses have gone to the wall over the last 3 1/2 weeks here with the local Burger King operation being the latest big name to run into trouble. However I get the impression that the guys who run WNW are no dummies, so I wouldn't be to worried and I'm sure the NZ media would announce it. Cutting tall poppies down to size is a National pastime here. 😷
petbat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
AeroScale: 93 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 02:22 PM UTC
The owner has already posted elsewhere that they are not going out of business. They are simply keeping within NZ Covid restrictions and limiting their activities until they can build back up to Business as Usual.

So don't go and buy up the exorbitantly priced kits people are offering, trying to cash in on the hype.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 05:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The owner has already posted elsewhere that they are not going out of business. They are simply keeping within NZ Covid restrictions and limiting their activities until they can build back up to Business as Usual.

So don't go and buy up the exorbitantly priced kits people are offering, trying to cash in on the hype.

Where have they posted that? The owner is Peter Jackson, and their long time manager, Richard Alexander has been laid off. The assets and business are now in the hands of the CEO and the CFO of Wingnut Productions, Peter Jackson’s film company. TVAL is in a similar situation. It looks like this is well beyond the Covid-19 posting of last month. Hyperscale is also reporting the demise now. It sure doesn’t look good. I’m hoping it’s just a bad dream, but I’ve been hoping that about everything over the last month or so. I keep thinking somebody will pinch me, and let me wake up.
Here’s the posting at Hyperscale (I think it’s the same posting from earlier):

http://www.hyperscale.com/wnwupdate_1.htm

VR, Russ
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 06:11 PM UTC
This is the message on the WNW website right now.

Cheers, D
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is the message on the WNW website right now.

Cheers, D

Thanks Damian.

I'm still hoping this will be temporary and they'll be back up and running in the next few months. Was looking forward to the Fokker Dr.1.

_GOTOTOP