_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Question: F-14A Tomcat (1/72 Scale Academy)
All_You_Can_Kit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2020 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi all, sorry for this silly question. I try to build a 1/72 scale F-14A Tomcat from Academy (aircraft number "100" from VF-51 Screaming Eagle squadron). I want to simply build it with parts & decals already available in the box without any aftermarket items added (not sure with the term, is it that called as "straight from the box"?).

I perform some deep research for the most accurate details. In many actual pictures, such plane was painted with large colored roundel USAF star insignia (twin insignia red lengthwise bars) that placed around below RIO cockpit position at both sides, top of the left wing, and bottom of the right wing.

But, the kit comes with low visibility roundel decal (smaller one and greyscale outline).

Is it accurate?

Thanks all

Kind regards from Indonesia,

Garry
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2020 - 09:16 AM UTC
Yes, that's accurate. During the 1980s and 1990s, the US Navy shifted to low-visibility markings such as you see on your kit's decal sheet. Here's a picture:

Later on, the markings became very plain and grey:
All_You_Can_Kit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2020 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, that's accurate. During the 1980s and 1990s, the US Navy shifted to low-visibility markings such as you see on your kit's decal sheet.

Okay, many thanks Ms. Jessica!
 _GOTOTOP