_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Modern Helicopter Colors
dodjiemd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 76 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:58 AM UTC
What is the current camo colors of USN, USAF, US army US marines helicopters, specifically hueys, cobras, blackhawks and apaches? Need a little help. TIA
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
US Army uses and always has used an overall dark green called Helo Drab, it is available from Model Master. It is used on all army helos. The only exception is special ops birds from the 160th Special Ops Aviation Regiment (SOAR) their helos are black.

Navy and Marines use an overall light gray. Up until a Few years ago, USMC used a three-color Mediterranian scheme of medium gray, dark green, and black. Some USMC Helos were painted in sand and dark brown for Desert Storm as well. Navy used to use a overall dark green as well.

USAF uses a three color scheme with light grey, medium green, and dark green. Up through the aerly 1980's they used the same three color scheme used on aircraft of dark green, medium green, and tan with a white underside.

Hope these help.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 07:02 AM UTC
I believe that while Littlebirds (MH-6, AH-6) are black, I thought that SOAR Pave Hawks were more of a gunship gray. Either way, I remember the color on the Pave Hawks being duller, flatter, more grayish. The Littlebirds were much blacker.
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:54 AM UTC
All statements are true, and the pics do help tons. But, the aircraft type and time period does change things. Just make sure you have good referance for the specific time frame
and aircraft.
As for Special Op's Army Helo's: All 160th aircraft are flat black with DARK gray markings,
Interior is aircraft gray with black or OD Nylon web seats.
The 160th were in FULL Glory @ the AAAA symposium 2 weeks ago in Nashville TN.
WOW WHAT A SHOW>!!!!!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 09:00 AM UTC
All US Army 160th SOAR helos start off as either flat black or (in rare cases) Helo Drab. They may weather to what looks like a dark grey, but they did not start out that way.
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 05:41 PM UTC
here are some pictures of an E160 SOAR (Taegu Korea), as you can see they are very flat black

Hope that helps, I have more if you need them, also I have a lot of the USAF's HH-60's, Which I believe they just started painting all dark grey, maybe a dark gull, ghost, or maybe even gunship, will try to sneak a photo of one of those soon.

Jeremy
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 04:20 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

On another Forum, this was discussed, and the conclusion reached (I believe) was that the proper colour was indeed, Black.
Qouting from SOAR pilot Michael J. Durant's book ' In the Company of Heroes', Mr. Durant states on page #9 of the Proluge that ""More than a score of coal-black aircraft hulked there in the sun,..."
My feeling is, that the birds are painted Flat Black to begin with, and the sun very quickly fades this to what appears more closely to a very dark grey.........make's sense.
hth.

Tread.
DPD1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 07:04 PM UTC
Yeah, from what I've seen on them, it's similar to the flat black on F117s. The lack of gloss and sun fading knocks down the black a bit. Aircraft Interior Black and a flat clear give a decent rendition. With maybe some lighter dry brushing on edges that would be worn.

Dave
Los Angeles, CA

-DPDP Model Accessories-
http://eje.railfan.net/dpdp/
 _GOTOTOP