_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
On the tree review of the Sop. 1 1/2 'Comic'
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 06:36 AM UTC
Greetings all; Welcome to this 'on the tree review' of the Roden 1/48 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter Comic Fighter kit No407. With 75 plastic pieces and 38 photoetch pieces.

This kit is most impressive. I had to move to a larger branch of the treehouse to support this heavy kit and its seven sprues and one metal fret. Mine only has a small amount of flash in one area between the two top wings offered on tree C. While an on the tree review won't allow for dimensional studies for the fit of most parts the character of a kit on the tree tells one that in most cases the factory did their home work. The bamboo wicker seats are not represented but let me take this time to note that many crews covered these seats with fleece or other similar materials for comfort and warmth. The typical Sopwith wicker seat had black leather for the seat and small back cushion. This cockpit will sit far enough away from the top wing that one should take time to detail it. Noting the flooring and the cockpit relocation from the first issued kits the trim adjustment wheels should be moved back and have a bit of the flooring cut away to allow for their clearance. Also the precise location of the dash or instrument panel is in the rear floor cut outs. Since the fuselage tapers here as well you may need to trim plastic and brass to unite the fuselage halves. As usual I will turn to Tom's modelworks brass interior sets for some pieces. Roden has given you both plastic and photoetch push rod assemblies for the Clerget rotary. Noting the area of the wings I personally recommend brass interplane 'STRUTZ' be applied then the cabane 'W' struts added. I have noted one fellow that says the MG support frame needs altering but I'll work on that later. I have heard some further rumblings on Roden decals for this kit. Again I echo that one should spray the decals wth gloss clear and allow to dry thoroughly before use on the kit. The Sopwith rigging is pretty intense so plan ahead. For a good visual reference try The Sopwith Fighters by J.M. Bruce Vintage Warbirds No3 by Arms & Armour press, especially p.16.

Specifically, this is a very good kit. Well worth the price. Another excellent plastic kit by Roden. And I'm not even on their payroll!

That's all for now. I'll begin a detailed build of this kit sometime in mid summer. With these trifocals I think I'll install an elevator in the treehouse.
http://www.rodenplant.com/HTML/407.htm
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2004 - 08:13 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

Does this release feature the clear plastic wings and fuselage like the original issue? I got that when it came out and, although it was a novel way to depict the tranlucent effect of clear-doped linen, I found the parts had rather a lot of flash and were a little warped on my example.

Looking forward to seeing your build.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2004 - 05:33 PM UTC
Negative Merlin two type of top wing. One with no open sections in the center area. The other has those areas filled in and simulated as 'covered over.' JackFlash
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2004 - 05:36 PM UTC
Here's the trees.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2004 - 07:01 PM UTC
Nice one Stephen - I'll look at for the "Comic" in the shops!

Crikey! What with this and the Pfalz D.XII, this is good going for WW1 new stuff.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi there

With Stephen's permission, I've adapted his post into a preview with additional product shots and a link to useful reference pics (courtesy of Rosebud).. If there are any mistakes it's totally a case of "mea culpa"!

Check out Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter "Comic"

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP