_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Wingnut Wings, another bad sign
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 04:35 AM UTC
I hate to spread bad rumors, but I just had another look at the Wingnut Wings website. The News note is the same, suspended ordering. But when I looked at the "kitset" list, the previously announced new releases (the Lancasters and Fokker triplanes specifically) are now missing. Those had at least been on the list before, but they're gone now.

Sigh.

Michael
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 05:54 AM UTC
Ominous indeed and I think we just need to accept the situation as per the immortal line in the 1966 World Cup Final .."They think it's all over ....it is now!".

All that conspiracy theorist nonsense posted on several sites about this all being a ploy to drive up sales by falsely announcing closure (despite all the workforce being made redundant!) isn't even worthy of a cogent debate.

Very sad indeed for all concerned and especially so in terms of considering and speculating as to what would have been had they carried on, as it is lamenting the loss of what has gone before.

Irrespective, thanks for all the great kits and the fond memories WNW.

Gary
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hate to spread bad rumors, but I just had another look at the Wingnut Wings website. The News note is the same, suspended ordering. But when I looked at the "kitset" list, the previously announced new releases (the Lancasters and Fokker triplanes specifically) are now missing. Those had at least been on the list before, but they're gone now.

Sigh.

Michael

That is strange. I'm still optimistic that this could all just be temporary, what with NZ very strict lockdown. If they have no means to post and no staff in to take orders, it makes sense to suspend the website. Although that doesn't explain the disappearance of the Lancs and Dr.1's.

Whatever happens, I'm glad I bought the ones I did.

redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 06:11 AM UTC
I hope beyond hope you are right Stephen but you don't dismiss (not suspend or furlough) all the workforce and then try and re-employ them all again 'X' number of months down the line if you intend to resume business.

That fact along with the complete absence of any formal response by the company to challenge the rumours circulating on the internet - IF untrue/incorrect - tells its own story.

As you say, I am so glad I also got all that I ever wanted to build; including some 'panic' bought ones over the last 3 weeks.

Gary
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 06:47 AM UTC
Short of the rumours on forums, where has it been announced that staff have been dismissed?

Not starting an argument, just looking for the source of it.

The only two I regret not buying would be the Pfalz D.XII and F.2B. Fortunately though, I've gotten the Special Hobby and Eduard 1/48 kits and they're just as nice.
Which I suppose is one good thing. We still have some fantastic 1/48's.
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 07:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Short of the rumours on forums, where has it been announced that staff have been dismissed?

The only two I regret not buying would be the Pfalz D.XII and F.2B. Fortunately though, I've gotten the Special Hobby and Eduard 1/48 kits and they're just as nice.
Which I suppose is one good thing. We still have some fantastic 1/48's.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11013.0&fbclid=IwAR2O3FP-1g9cZE0TR4yAssKumWb5JSnQ7ezusbjdCog2olT7DYFVeTBg60g

Post 28 made on 4/17
“ Take it from kit product designer Bryan Wall who posted on the WnW Fans page on Facebook: "Guys we are closed for good I am sorry to say, the whole team was made redundant on Wednesday".”
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 08:31 AM UTC
It's still very much the old 'I know someone who knows someone who saw this etc...'.
There's nothing official. It's all very odd.

If they do go out of business, I can certainly imagine that somebody will pick up the toolings. Something this good won't go forever. Hopefully somebody with a better business model and distribution. Probably even see the OOP kits back out.
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's still very much the old 'I know someone who knows someone who saw this etc...'.

If they do go out of business, I can certainly imagine that somebody will pick up the toolings. Something this good won't go forever. Hopefully somebody with a better business model and distribution. Probably even see the OOP kits back out.

I think it is a little better a friend of a friend but to each their own. I doubt we will see anything more official then what Dave reported.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think it is a little better a friend of a friend but to each their own. I doubt we will see anything more official then what Dave reported.

Well, Richard Alexander is no longer there, and the business has been turned over to the “Wingnut Productions“ (Which is Peter Jackson’s Film Production Company) CEO and CFO. That sure sounds like a liquidation to me. I think they are done. But the dies and molds may not be. We’ll have to wait and see what happens.
VR, Russ
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But you can understand my scepticism on the subject. Somebody just saying 'I saw this on facebook' and provides no screenshot or link, isn't proof one way or another to me. As Carl Sagan used to say, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 02:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But you can understand my scepticism on the subject. Somebody just saying 'I saw this on facebook' and provides no screenshot or link, isn't proof one way or another to me. As Carl Sagan used to say, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I understand and while not an official presser from the company I think that post is probably the source for the claims that they are laid off and closed.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 02:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I understand and while not an official presser from the company I think that post is probably the source for the claims that they are laid off and closed.

It’s not like it isn’t a reliable source, Des Delatores WWIaircraft.com has been around a while now (although Des passed away several years ago) and the current Editor has had very frequent communication with Richard Alexander, by phone, who reported the Wingnut Productions CEO and CFO were now in charge, and the staff was let off. I’d say that’s pretty reliable since it comes with names, times and places. Now I’m hoping for the best, but it certainly does not look good. NZ is now back up to speed, but the former President of our local IPMS group (who’s a native New Zelander) has now moved back, and he reports PJs finances are in a mess, which is well known news down there. There are lawsuits, criminal activity and prosecutions (2 Million in fraud out at Omaka—at the Vintage Aviator, stolen from PJ). So putting all this news together, it sure looks bleak. But, if it is true, Maybe some enterprising hobby manufacturer will swoop in and take over, you never know.
VR, Russ
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 02:40 PM UTC
Just to be clear.

The Vintage Aviator Ltd is at Hood Aerodrome, Masterton, NOT Omaka.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 03:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just to be clear.

The Vintage Aviator Ltd is at Hood Aerodrome, Masterton, NOT Omaka.

Got it, I just linked the two unconsciously, it’s been a long day. I’ve always wanted to visit Omaka ( both really) maybe someday.
VR, Russ
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2020 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Go to 00:59...I don't know what your definition of "seems pretty conclusive to me " is but it certainly qualifies for me.

Sad for everyone involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqXXFJWR_Eo
berman4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 03:00 AM UTC
As there will never be a WNW Handley Page bomber, an alternative is the excellent 1/48th scale version by Copper State Models. Gaspatch produces a very fine Salmson. Lone Star Models has a nice early and late version Felixstowe F.2a flying boat.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Go to 00:59...I don't know what your definition of "seems pretty conclusive to me " is but it certainly qualifies for me.

Sad for everyone involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqXXFJWR_Eo

This is not “new” news, nor is it definitive news, it’s the same announcement that appeared originally at WWIaircraft.com, then repeated a day or two later at Hyperscale, then repeated here in this YouTube video. But, It doesn’t sound any the less ominous the more it’s repeated. Bad news is a little like COVID-19 I guess, it spreads fast.
VR, Russ
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 09, 2020 - 07:42 AM UTC
It's not my scale or era, but I wouldn't give up the ghost yet.
 _GOTOTOP