_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
MiG 21 completed (big pictures warning)
druid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Finland
KitMaker: 211 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 03:32 AM UTC
This is a Revell kit I got for x-mas. I regard it as my first real model and thus call it "Exercise in Everything". When I started the build I did not know about pre-shading or weathering let alone drybrushing and washes. Even the idea of primer came to me at some point after some sub-optimal painting experiences.

As you can see from the images there is still room for improvement, for instance I didn't smooth out some of the nasty seams that are visible. In the end I just wanted to get this ready and as a result the ordnance is not too pretty. As for the fuselage, I developed the eye to notice some of the imperfections only after it was painted and weathered. I wouldn't really recommend this kit to anyone but a beginner. The big 1/32 scale wasn't too bad but the quality and fit of the parts was somewhat off putting. There weren't many recesses for the panel lines either. Only the flaps, ailerons, and the rudder had decent recesses.

I started building with a few enamel paints, some brushes and glue. As I'm an engineer all equipment related things quickly got out of control and during the 4 month period I acquired:

• airbrush (two actually but only the Aztek is worthy of being called an airbrush)
  • propellant cans
  • compressor
  • acrylic paints
  • oil paints
  • new brushes
  • Johnson's floorwax
  • isopropyl (windscreen washer)
  • turp
  • odorless turp
  • X-Acto knife
  • new tweezers
  • 600 and 1000 grit sandpaper
  • surgical gloves
  • dust masks
  • clamps
  • CA glue
  • paint jars
  • syringes
  • filler putty

Needless to say I learned all this and more from Armorama for which I must thank you all.

And finally for the pics...

Here's the whole plane under DDR insignia:

Nose job:

Full frontal:

The derrier (or tail):

A portion of the soft white underbelly:

More nether regions:

Nether bits from the other side:

A flying frog's eye view of the frontal region:
GN
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 24 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 01:17 PM UTC
Hi

For a first build I find the effort you put into it, truly amazing. There are after all, easier kits to get started with you know And the end result is better than my own first assembled kit, after I picked up the hobby again. Well done

Cheers
EW
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:06 PM UTC
Cool! Nice work! I think the red color looks more like a rust to me. Anyways, love to see more planes flying by!
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 12:34 AM UTC
As a fan of Mig-21's I would have to say that she looks really cool. And its 32 scale, so its a big sucker!

Way to go! Good job!

~Chip :-)
Cactus911
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 03:38 AM UTC
Ha! I had to laugh as I read your description of how your supplies ballooned out of control. Who would have ever known we needed Future without this web site to correct us?

Looks like a fine job! I imagine your results will increase with more experience (hopefully no need for a similiarly sized increase in the tools).

Stephen
druid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Finland
KitMaker: 211 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 03:55 AM UTC
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I've been bitten by the bug badly now and don't regret spending the 4 months at all. I already cracked the plastic and washed the parts of my 88 for the Incoming campaign. I think my entry might be my first ever diorama too.

Quoted Text

I imagine your results will increase with more experience (hopefully no need for a similiarly sized increase in the tools).

I hope so too or I'll soon be out of business. Those supplies (sans the compressor and airbrush) now fill a big toolbox.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 04:06 AM UTC
If this is your first real model, I can't wait to see more. I've always liked the look of the Mig-21 and want to build the Trumpeter kit someday. Yours looks excellent.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2004 - 06:17 AM UTC
I love the weathering, the texture is so subtle that it stands out. Awesome job
 _GOTOTOP