Hosted by Rowan Baylis
ZP squadron hack
b2nhvi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
AeroScale: 40 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2020 - 01:06 PM UTC
Planning on doing the 1/35 J3 Cub as a Navy ZP squadron hack, circa mid 43. Being an ASW unit, I'm leaning towards the two tone grey/white, or would the 2 tone blue/ white be more appropriate? Also, what style national markings?

j3 Cub as
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2020 - 04:19 PM UTC
A mid 1943 Cub could have the old circular insignia, the very short-lived red-outlined star and bars or the later blue-outlined, depending upon the exact date you want to portray.
Grey/white was generally used for Atlantic squadrons, while blue/white was Pacific. Here's a page full of possible options.
b2nhvi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2020 - 09:15 PM UTC
Thanks. I did not know the "Atlantic" scheme was an East Coast thing. I mean, all aircraft I've seen with it have been actual ASW patrol aircraft. Wsnt sure if general purpose a/c (liason, training , etc) would have had that or the "Navy Reg" blue. And being a LTA unit, not sure if they would have a pint shop that could repaint it after receiving the aircraft. (bout they only thing to pint would be the car/ gondola) Zp14 was operational from June 42 till June 44 when it was transferred to Morocco. Going for a scheme for the unit's US time.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 - 03:52 AM UTC
Google tells me that ZP-14 was based at Weeksville NAS, Elizabeth City North Carolina, so the grey and white 'Atlanic' scheme would be perfectly appropriate.
b2nhvi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 - 07:55 AM UTC
Cool. I am a bit confused. Most photos I see looks like the scheme is two tone ….. dark gull grey upper surfaces/ white for the rest. (Variation? Lighting? ) Specs say dark gull,(upper) light gull (sides), white (bottom) like the three tone blue pattern. Is that correct? Yes, ZP14 was out of NAS Weeksville until late 44. ZP24 took over and ZP14 was transferred to Port Lautey , Morroco to patrol the Gibraltar area. Their airships carried radar and Magnetic Anomaly Detectors …. a great asset in the shallow straits.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 - 09:05 AM UTC
I think it's a result of lighting. In direct sunlight, light grey and white look a lot alike to the camera. Especially when the white is on the underside in shadow.
 _GOTOTOP