_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Help on priming and painting black Lysander
MrchntMarine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 10:49 AM UTC
So ive been doing some looking around with no luck. Im gonna do my 1st aircraft, and Edouard British Lysander, ED11138.... Its got some PE a some extras. Id like to do it in black for night missions but I have no clue on priming, etc. Im thinking to prime in black but not sure. Id like to make the paint a little interesting - some modulation & shading if you will, but have no clue how to approach the coloring/painting/priming..... Can anyone give a tip or any links? Confused as how to start with what color/primer? Im not planning on doing any washes.... Tks!
griffontech
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 04:09 PM UTC
This really should be in the aircraft forums.
However, you can prime panel lines in pure black, and add some shading to interior panels. Then use a "slightly less black" like Tamiya NATO black, for main colour. Spray in random splotchy pattern seen on aircraft. Highlight certain panels with the pure black again, or spray some small areas like they received spot over spray in the field.
MrchntMarine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 - 09:16 AM UTC
tks for th help. Im never sure on where to pit things when asking for technique suggestions on certain topics - category/subject forum or technique forum....
11Bravo_C2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

tks for th help. Im never sure on where to pit things when asking for technique suggestions on certain topics - category/subject forum or technique forum....

For the OP, probably posted in the General Aviation forum in Aeroscale or Modeling in General subforum, which is accessible to all the Kitmaker Forums
MrchntMarine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 - 02:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

For the OP, probably posted in the General Aviation forum in Aeroscale or Modeling in General subforum, which is accessible to all the Kitmaker Forums

Well I did search and I got nothing. Maybe someone can move it it’s not suppose to be here so I can get the right coverage. I missed the AFV - all I saw was painting and wheathering. What’s afv? Tks
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 - 09:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well I did search and I got nothing. Maybe someone can move it it’s not suppose to be here so I can get the right coverage. I missed the AFV - all I saw was painting and wheathering. What’s afv? Tks

AFV = Armoured Fighting Vehicle

Post moved to wingy thingies forum.

/ Robin
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2020 - 09:38 PM UTC
Moved
MrchntMarine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

AFV = Armoured Fighting Vehicle

Post moved to wingy thingies forum.

/ Robin

Ahhh, the F had me stumped. Tks.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 01:30 AM UTC
Primer can be in any colour. Its main purpose is to prepare the plastic for the final finish, and let you see if you need to do any further work on filling gaps or sanding to make the model look good. Usually primers are light grey or even white if the final finish is going to be light-coloured. Your black finish won't require that.

Making the final finish off-black will add some interest and prevent your model from looking like a hole in space.
MrchntMarine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Primer can be in any colour. Its main purpose is to prepare the plastic for the final finish, and let you see if you need to do any further work on filling gaps or sanding to make the model look good. Usually primers are light grey or even white if the final finish is going to be light-coloured. Your black finish won't require that.

Making the final finish off-black will add some interest and prevent your model from looking like a hole in space.

So I’m so far planning for a bluish/black glossy type final finish. So what your saying if I understand correctly, is that I’ll need no primer? So just work in some different tones of black or similar under the final coat? Where - panel lines, edges, enter?? Tks
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 06:26 AM UTC
No, you do want a coat of primer. It prepares the plastic for the paint, covers up any filler and makes the entire model one uniform colour to accept the final paint finish without betraying what's under the paint.
What I was saying is that a black finish won't absolutely need a white undercoat. Any grey will do, but if all you've got is white it won't hurt
MrchntMarine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 06:38 AM UTC
ahhh, tks! And that'll give some good modulation and accenting?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 07:51 AM UTC
Not by itself, but it makes a good base to start from. Black is especially difficult, because pain black is so dark and thick. You need to begin with an 'off black" like the aforementioned "NATO Black" (which is really a very, very dark grey) and then do your accents in other greys and plain black to make bits of the model stand out.

Try your techniques on a junk model first to see if you like them before going on to your masterpiece
MrchntMarine
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2020 - 08:52 AM UTC
ok. tks. I just came across doogs models on YouTube and he's doing exactly what I thinking about. Just glanced at it - I think he started with silver and grey's, etc then black - or hummm, maybe the other way around. Either way, he was doing a lot of samples on a set of wings. Gonna ck it out more later on.
 _GOTOTOP