_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Training to kill - Old Su-15UM Out of Box
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 01:39 PM UTC
It should come as no surprise to many reading this that I love obscure subject matter. From Gundams that almost no one has heard of to four-door vettes and planes that can barely get out of their own way, the odder it is, the better I like it. I also have a thing for two-seater variants of normally single-pilot aircraft.

One of the lesser-known Russian planes of the Cold War is the Su-15 Flagon, despite its apparent penchant for shooting down airliners! As a typical “fast-and-pointy” ‘60s-era interceptor, it’s not really something I have a particular love for. However, if you talk to me about the trainer variant, then you have my attention!
Well, Pioneer2 from Turkey did just that, and I couldn’t resist picking up one of their Su-15UM Flagon G kits years and years ago. I decided it was time to get it out of the stack and see what I was in for. Check out this very “workmanlike” (to be kind) kit out-of-box at the link below, and remember that I’m doing this so you don’t have to!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/1-72-pioneer2-su-21g-flagon-oob/

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 02:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

. . . . and remember that I’m doing this so you don’t have to!

The philanthropist in you coming to the fore here Adam

The line "including what I think is an oleo chunk" did it for me! You have a great way of describing things that is both accurate and funny, and leaves us in no doubt as to what prospects the kit brings.

And that canopy part, it seriously looks like a chunk of ice out of my bourbon last night.

Another classic review mate, love it.

Cheers, D
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 24, 2020 - 10:41 AM UTC
Thanks Damian!

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I try to have as much fun at the expense of these old dogs as I can. Lord knows, the actual building might be a bit trying... like, I'm trying not to imagine it too closely!

Bourbon! Great idea! I think that will make this kit so much better. Clearly, the guys who moulded it thought so!
 _GOTOTOP